[Rushtalk] Conservatives: Achtung!

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 3 23:51:41 MST 2012

<http://www.humanevents.com/>
HumanEvents
Today is: December 4, 2012 | 1:50 AM

An open letter to conservatives

By: <http://www.humanevents.com/author/morton-c-blackwell/>Morton Blackwell
11/19/2012 05:33 PM

RESIZE: AAA
Print

I had a very exciting time at the Republican
National Convention.  My conservative allies and
I all worked very hard in the presidential election.

When I woke up the day after the election,
everything I had worked for appeared to be in
ruins.  An extreme leftist had been reelected president of the United States.

Some liberal Republicans immediately began to
blame newly activated conservatives for the
presidential defeat.  I knew they were wrong.  It
was clear to me that these newly active
conservatives would be the key to major future
victories for conservative principles.

The day was Wednesday, November 4, 1964.

The Republican nominee, Barry Goldwater, had
suffered a crushing defeat.  He won just six
states and 52 votes in the Electoral
College.  But from the ashes of that loss sprang
a vigorous conservative movement.

The conservative movement grew from modest
beginnings to become a major force capable of
nominating and electing candidates at the local,
state, and national level, including Ronald Reagan.

Waves of newly activated conservatives elected
Ronald Reagan, broke the Democratic monopoly in
the Congress, and were decisive in the thrilling
2010 elections.  The influx of new conservatives
greatly benefited the Republican Party then, as it has again in recent years.

It would be foolish for conservatives, defeated
for now, to form a circular firing squad and
start shooting at each other.  Each element of
our coalition ­ limited government, free
enterprise, strong national defense, and
traditional values ­ has a long and strong
background of working together.  These principles
will lead to victories in the future as they have
in the past, as recently as two years ago.

For those disappointed by the results of this
year’s presidential election, remember that it is
a long ball game.  Politics has a natural ebb and flow.

Now is the time to study the lessons of this
election and to chart a course for conservatives
to win in the future.  The stakes could not be
higher.  The margins of victory in the public
policy process may be smaller now than at any other time in American history.

Conservatives must reach out and identify
philosophically compatible individuals among the
types of people with whom leftist organizers have had the most success.

Seek out the reasonably conservative people, the
younger the better, who happen to be in
categories long-targeted for organization by the
left, people who share our American view of
individual rights rather than group rights.  Help
them deepen their understanding of public policy
issues.  Many have strong opinions they already
share with us.  Then undertake systematic,
persistent actions to recruit them into the
public policy process, teach them political
skills, and place them where they can be effective.

Work hard and wisely to increase the number and
effectiveness of conservative activists in all
categories of people.  Do all you can to advance
and to protect them.  Their success will break
the leftist organizers’ near monopolies among people like them.

In closing, let me share with you the most
important lesson you will learn at any time in
your life about success in the public policy process.

Being right in the sense of being correct is not
sufficient to win.  The winner in a political
contest over time is determined by the number and
the effectiveness of the activists and leaders on the respective sides.

You owe it to your philosophy to study how to
win.  You have a moral obligation to learn how to win.

That was the clinching argument Goldwater
conservatives used to revive the power of
conservative principles in America in 1964.  I
know you will find it helpful today.

Conservatives can and will win big again in
presidential elections.  But first we must learn
from our experience, do what must be done, and
study diligently to become ever more effective.

You have fought for good causes before.  I pray
you’ll continue your fight for good causes
now.  Victories may be just around the corner.

On Twitter:
<http://www.twitter.com/mortonblackwell>@MortonBlackwell.
This piece
<http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/14/conservatives-must-learn-how-to-win/>ran
in the Washington Times on November 15, 2012.