[Rushtalk] Nancy J. Lanza

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 16 23:08:00 MST 2012

Mother of Sandy Hook gunman Adam Lanza 'was a gun
obsessive living in fear of society's collapse'

Monday, 17 December 2012
Nancy J Lanza mother of suspected gunman Adam Lanza

Nancy J Lanza mother of suspected gunman Adam Lanza

The mother of Sandy Hook gunman Adam Lanza who
slaughtered 20 US schoolchildren and seven adults
was a gun-hoarding survivalist who was
stockpiling weapons in preparation for an economic collapse, it has emerged.

Nancy Lanza was shot four times in the head
before her son Adam gunned down young pupils and
teachers at Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut.

Her sister-in-law Marsha Lanza told reporters at
her Illinois home that her gun-obsessed relative
was part of the ‘prepper’ movement that fears an
economic collapse will lead to a breakdown in society.

“She prepared for the worst,” Ms Lanza said.

“Last time we visited her in person, we talked
about prepping ­ are you ready for what could
happen down the line, when the economy collapses?”

Nancy Lanza (52) had five registered firearms,
had begun stockpiling food and taught Adam how to
shoot. He is believed to have used three of her
guns ­ a Bushmaster .223-calibre, and two
handguns, a Glock 10 mm and a Sig Sauer 9mm ­ in
the school massacre after he shot her dead in bed.

After taking her car, Adam Lanza (20) blasted his
way into the school building in Newtown,
Connecticut and used a high-power rifle to kill
20 children and six adults, including the
principal and school psychologist who tried to
stop him. The youngest victims were six and seven, the oldest 56.

Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy said Lanza
shot himself after about 10 minutes of shooting
as first responders entered the building.

A law enforcement official said Lanza ­ said to
be addicted to violent video games ­ had “lots of
ammo” on him when he died, enough to carry out
significant additional carnage. During the
rampage Lanza wiped out a first class of six and
seven-year-olds and their two teachers.

“There were 14 coats hanging there and 14 bodies.
He killed them all,” a law enforcement officer said.

Governor Malloy added in a TV interview: “We
surmise that it was during the second classroom
episode that he heard responders coming and
apparently at that, decided to take his own life.”

All the victims at the school were shot with a
rifle, at least some of them at close range, and
all were apparently shot more than once, said
Chief Medical Examiner Dr H Wayne Carver. There
were as many as 11 shots on the bodies he examined.

All six adults killed at the school were women.
Of the 20 children, eight were boys and 12 were girls.

Parents identified the children through photos to
spare them some shock, Carver said.

Amid the confusion and sorrow, stories of heroism
emerged, including an account of Hochsprung, 47,
and the school psychologist, Mary Sherlach, 56,
rushing toward Lanza in an attempt to stop him. Both died.

There was also 27-year-old teacher Victoria Soto,
whose name has been invoked as a portrait of
selflessness. Investigators told relatives she
was killed while shielding her first-graders from
danger. She reportedly hid some students in a
bathroom or closet, ensuring they were safe, a
cousin, Jim Wiltsie, told ABC News.

The gunman's father, Peter Lanza, issued a
statement relating his own family's anguish in the aftermath.

“Our family is grieving along with all those who
have been affected by this enormous tragedy. No
words can truly express how heartbroken we are,”
he said. “We are in a state of disbelief and
trying to find whatever answers we can. We too
are asking why. Like so many of you, we are
saddened, but struggling to make sense of what has transpired.”

Authorities said Lanza had no criminal history,
and it was not clear whether he had a job. Lanza
was believed to have been diagnosed with Asperger's, a mild form of autism.

Richard Novia, the school district's head of
security until 2008, who also served as adviser
for the Newtown High School technology club, of
which Lanza was a member, said he clearly “had some disabilities”.

The victims

CHARLOTTE BACON, SIX

They were supposed to be for the holidays, but
finally on Friday, after much begging, Charlotte
Bacon's mother relented and let her wear a new pink dress and boots to school.

It was the last outfit the outgoing redhead would
ever pick out. Charlotte's older brother Guy was
also in the school but was not shot.

Her parents, JoAnn and Joel, have lived in
Newtown for four or five years, JoAnn's brother
John Hagen, of Nisswa, Minnesota, told Newsday.

"She was going to go some places in this world,"
he said. "This little girl could light up the room for anyone."

DANIEL BARDEN, SEVEN

Daniel's family says he was "fearless in the pursuit of happiness in life".

He was the youngest of three children and in a
statement to the media, his family said Daniel
earned his missing two front teeth and ripped jeans.

"Words really cannot express what a special boy
Daniel was. Such a light. Always smiling,
unfailingly polite, incredibly affectionate, fair
and so thoughtful towards others, imaginative in
play, both intelligent and articulate in
conversation: in all, a constant source of laughter and joy," the family said.

His father Mark is a local musician. The New
Haven Register said he was scheduled to play a
show at a restaurant in Danbury on Friday, a show that was later cancelled.

On the biography on his professional website, he
lists spending time with his family as his favourite thing to do.

RACHEL D'AVINO, 29

Days before the rampage, Rachel's boyfriend had
asked her parents for permission to marry her.

she was a behavioural therapist who had only
recently started working at the school where she
was killed, according to Lissa Lovetere, a friend
who is handling her funeral planned for Friday.
Anthony Cerritelli planned to ask Ms D'Avino to
marry him on Christmas Eve, Ms Lovetere said.

Ms Lovetere said they met in 2005 when Ms D'Avino
was assigned to her son, who has autism, in their
town of Bethlehem. Ms D'Avino was so dedicated
she would make home visits and constantly offered
guidance on handling situations such as helping
her son deal with loud music at a wedding.

"Her job didn't end when the school bell rang at 3 o'clock," Ms Lovetere said.

Police told Ms D'Avino's family she shielded one
of the pupils during the rampage, Ms Lovetere said.

"I'm heartbroken. I'm numb," she said. "I think
she taught me more about how to be a good mother
to a special needs child than anyone else ever had."

OLIVIA ENGEL, SIX

Images of Olivia show a happy child, one with a
great sense of humour, as her family said in a
statement. There she is, visiting Santa Claus, or
feasting on a slice of birthday cake. Or swinging
a pink baseball bat, posing on a boat, or making a silly face.

Olivia loved school, did very well in maths and
reading, and was "insightful for her age", said
the statement released by her uncle, John Engel.

She was a child who "lit up a room and the people
around her". Creative with drawing and designing,
she was also a tennis and football player and
took art classes, swimming, and dance lessons in
ballet and hip hop. A Daisy Girl Scout, she enjoyed musical theatre.

"She was a great big sister and was always very
patient with her three-year-old brother Brayden,"
her family said, recalling that her favourite colours were purple and pink.

Olivia was learning the rosary and always led
grace before the family dinner. "She was a
grateful child who was always appreciative and never greedy," the family said.

Her father said she was a six-year-old who had a lot to look forward to.

Dan Merton, a long-time friend of the family,
recalled that she loved attention, had perfect
manners and was a teacher's pet.

"Her only crime," he said, "is being a wiggly, smiley six-year-old."

DAWN HOCHSPRUNG, 47

Dawn Hochsprung's pride in Sandy Hook Elementary
was clear. She regularly tweeted photos from her
time as principal there, giving indelible
glimpses of life at a place now known for
tragedy. Just this week, it was an image of
fourth-graders rehearsing for their winter
concert; days before that, the tiny hands of
nursery schoolers exchanging play money at their makeshift grocery store.

She viewed her school as a model, telling the
Newtown Bee in 2010: "I don't think you could
find a more positive place to bring students to
every day." She had worked to make Sandy Hook a
place of safety, and in October, the 47-year-old
shared a picture of the school's evacuation drill
with the message "safety first".

When the unthinkable came, she was ready to
defend. Officials said she died while lunging at
the gunman in an attempt to overtake him.

"She had an extremely likable style about her,"
said Gerald Stomski, first selectman of Woodbury,
where Ms Hochsprung lived and had taught. "She
was an extremely charismatic principal while she was here."

MADELEINE HSU, SIX

Dr Matthew Velsmid was at Madeleine's house on
Saturday, tending to her stricken family. He said
the family did not want to comment.

Dr Velsmid said that after hearing of the
shooting, he went to the triage area to provide
medical assistance but there were no injuries to treat.

"We were waiting for casualties to come out, and
there was nothing. There was no need,
unfortunately," he said. "This is the darkest
thing I've ever walked into, by far."

His daughter, who attends another school, lost three of her friends.

CATHERINE HUBBARD, SIX

Catherine's parents released a statement
expressing gratitude to emergency responders and
for the support of the community.

"We are greatly saddened by the loss of our
beautiful daughter, Catherine Violet, and our
thoughts and prayers are with the other families
who have been affected by this tragedy," Jennifer
and Matthew Hubbard said. "We ask that you
continue to pray for us and the other families
who have experienced loss in this tragedy."

CHASE KOWALSKI, SEVEN

Chase Kowalski was always outside, playing in the
back yard, riding his bicycle. Just last week, he
was visiting neighbour Kevin Grimes, telling him
about completing - and winning - his first mini-triathlon.

"You couldn't think of a better child," Mr Grimes said.

His own five children all attended Sandy Hook.

NANCY LANZA, 52

She once was known simply for the game nights she
hosted and the Christmas decorations she put up
at her house. Now Ms Lanza is known as her son's first victim.

The two shared a home in a well-to-do Newtown
neighbourhood, but details were slow to emerge of
who she was and what might have led her son to carry out such horror.

Kingston, New Hampshire, police chief Donald
Briggs Jr said she once lived in the community
and was a kind, considerate and loving person.
The former stockbroker at John Hancock in Boston
was well-respected, Mr Briggs said.

Court records show Ms Lanza and her ex-husband,
Peter Lanza, filed for divorce in 2008. He lives
in Stamford and is a tax director at General
Electric. A neighbour, Rhonda Cullens, said she
knew Ms Lanza from get-togethers she hosted to
play Bunco, a dice game. She said her neighbour enjoyed gardening.

"She was a very nice lady," Ms Cullens said. "She
was just like all the rest of us in the neighbourhood, just a regular person."

JESSE LEWIS, SIX

Jesse Lewis had hot chocolate with his favourite
breakfast sandwich - sausage, egg and cheese - at
the neighbourhood deli before going to school on Friday morning.

Jesse and his parents were regulars at the Misty
Vale Deli in Sandy Hook, owner Angel Salazar told The Wall Street Journal.

"He was always friendly; he always liked to talk," Mr Salazar said.

Jesse's family has a collection of animals he
enjoyed playing with, and he was learning to ride a horse.

Family friend Barbara McSperrin told the Journal
Jesse was "a typical six-year-old little boy, full of life".

ANA MARQUEZ-GREENE, SIX

A year ago, Ana was revelling in holiday
celebrations with her extended family on her
first trip to Puerto Rico. This year will be heartbreakingly different.

The girl's grandmother, Elba Marquez, said the
family moved to Connecticut two months ago, drawn
from Canada in part by Sandy Hook's sterling
reputation. The grandmother's brother, Jorge
Marquez, is mayor of a Puerto Rican town and said
the child's nine-year-old brother also was at the school but escaped safely.

Ms Marquez had just visited the new home over
Thanksgiving and is perplexed by what happened.
"What happened does not match up with the place where they live," she said.

A video spreading across the internet shows a
confident Ana hitting every note as she sings
Come, Thou Almighty King. She flashes a big grin
and waves to the camera when she finishes.

Mr Marquez confirmed the girl's father is
saxophonist Jimmy Greene, who wrote on Facebook
that he was trying to "work through this nightmare".

"As much as she's needed here and missed by her
mother, brother and me, Ana beat us all to
paradise," he wrote. "I love you sweetie girl."

JAMES MATTIOLI, SIX

The upstate New York town of Sherrill is thinking
of Cindy Mattioli, who grew up there and lost her
son James in the school shooting in Connecticut.

"It's a terrible tragedy, and we're a tight
community," Mayor William Vineall told the Utica
Observer-Dispatch. "Everybody will be there for
them, and our thoughts and prayers are there for them."

James's grandparents, Jack and Kathy Radley,
still live in the city, the newspaper reported.

GRACE AUDREY McDONNELL, SEVEN

With broken hearts, Grace's parents said they
could not believe the outpouring of support they
have received since the little girl who was the centre of their lives died.

Lynn and Chris McDonnell called their daughter
"the love and light" of their family in a
statement released by the girl's uncle.

The family also shared a photo featuring Grace
smiling into the camera, her eyes shining and a
pink bow adorning her long blonde hair.

"Words cannot adequately express our sense of loss," the McDonnells said.

ANNE MARIE MURPHY, 52

A happy soul. A good mother, wife and daughter.
Artistic, fun-loving, witty and hardworking.

Remembering their teacher daughter, Ms Murphy's
parents had no shortage of adjectives to offer
Newsday. When news of the shooting broke, Hugh
and Alice McGowan waited for word of their
daughter as hours ticked by. And then it came.

Authorities told the couple their daughter was a
hero who helped shield some of her students from
the rain of bullets. As the grim news arrived,
the victim's mother reached for her rosary.

"You don't expect your daughter to be murdered,"
her father told the newspaper. "It happens on TV. It happens elsewhere."

EMILIE PARKER, SIX

Quick to cheer up those in need of a smile,
Emilie never missed a chance to draw a picture or make a card.

Her father Robbie fought back tears as he
described the beautiful, blonde, always-smiling
girl who loved to try new things, except foods.

Mr Parker, one of the first parents to publicly
talk about his loss, expressed no animosity for
the gunman, even as he struggled to explain the
death to his other two children, aged three and
four. He is sustained by the fact that the world
is better for having had Emilie in it.

"I'm so blessed to be her dad," he said.

JACK PINTO, SIX

Jack was a huge fan of American football side the New York Giants.

Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz said he talked
to Jack's family, who are considering burying him in Cruz's No 80 jersey.

Cruz honoured Jack on Sunday on his shoes,
writing on them the words "Jack Pinto, My Hero"
and "Rhode IslandP. Jack Pinto."

"I also spoke to an older brother and he was
distraught as well. I told him to stay strong and
I was going to do whatever I can to honour him,"
Cruz said after the Giants game with Atlanta
Falcons. "He was fighting tears and could barely speak to me."

Cruz said he plans to give the gloves he wore
during the game to the boy's family, and spend some time with them.

"There's no words that can describe the type of
feeling that you get when a kid idolises you so
much that unfortunately they want to put him in
the casket with your jersey on," he said. "I can't even explain it."

Jack's funeral is scheduled for 1pm on Monday at
the Honan Funeral Home in Newtown, followed by a
burial at Newtown Village Cemetery.

NOAH POZNER, SIX

Noah was "smart as a whip", gentle but with a
rambunctious streak, said his uncle, Alexis
Haller of Woodinville, Washington. Noah's twin
sister Arielle, assigned to a different
classroom, survived the shooting. He called her
his best friend, and with their eight-year-old
sister Sophia they were inseparable.

"They were always playing together, they loved to
do things together," Mr Haller said. When Noah's
mother, a nurse, told him she loved him, he would
answer, "Not as much as I love you, Mom."

Mr Haller said Noah loved to read and liked to
figure out how things worked mechanically. For
his birthday two weeks ago, he got a new Wii games console.

"He was just a really lively, smart kid," Mr
Haller said. "He would have become a great man, I
think. He would have grown up to be a great dad."

JESSICA REKOS, SIX

"Jessica loved everything about horses," her
parents Rich and Krista said in a statement. "She
devoted her free time to watching horse movies,
reading horse books, drawing horses, and writing stories about horses."

When she turned 10, they had promised, she could
have a horse of her own. For Christmas, she asked
Santa for new cowgirl boots and hat.

The Rekoses described their daughter as "a
creative, beautiful little girl who loved playing
with her little brothers, Travis and Shane".

"She spent time writing in her journals, making
up stories, and doing 'research' on orca whales -
one of her passions after seeing the movie Free
Willy last year." Her dream of seeing a real orca
was realised in October when she went to SeaWorld.

Jessica, the oldest child in the family, was "our
rock", the parents said. "She had an answer for
everything, she didn't miss a trick, and she
outsmarted us every time." A thoughtful planner, she was "our little CEO".

"We cannot imagine our life without her. We are
mourning her loss, sharing our beautiful memories
we have of her, and trying to help her brother
Travis understand why he can't play with his best friend," they said.

"We are devastated, and our hearts are with the
other families who are grieving as we are."

LAUREN GABRIELLE ROUSSEAU, 30

Lauren Rousseau had spent years working as a
substitute teacher and doing other jobs, so she
was thrilled when she finally realised her goal
this autumn to become a full-time teacher at Sandy Hook.

Her mother, Teresa Rousseau, a copy editor at the
Danbury News-Times, released a statement that
said state police told them just after midnight
that she was among the victims.

"Lauren wanted to be a teacher from before she
even went to kindergarten," she said. "We will
miss her terribly and will take comfort knowing
that she had achieved that dream."

Her mother said she was thrilled to get the job.

"It was the best year of her life," she told the newspaper.

Ms Rousseau has been called gentle, spirited and
active. She had planned to see The Hobbit with
her boyfriend on Friday and baked cupcakes for a
party they were to attend afterwards. She was
born in Danbury and attended Danbury High,
college at the University of Connecticut and
graduate school at the University of Bridgeport.

She was a lover of music, dance and theatre.

"I'm used to having people die who are older,"
her mother said, "not the person whose room is up over the kitchen."

MARY SHERLACH, 56

When the shots rang out, school psychologist Mary
Sherlach threw herself into the danger.

Janet Robinson, the superintendent of Newtown
Public Schools, said Ms Sherlach and the school's
principal ran toward the shooter. They lost their
own lives rushing toward him.

Even as Ms Sherlach neared retirement, her job at
Sandy Hook was one she loved. Those who knew her
called her a wonderful neighbour, a beautiful person, a dedicated educator.

Her son-in-law, Eric Schwartz, told the South
Jersey Times that Ms Sherlach supported the Miami
Dolphins American football team, enjoyed visiting
the Finger Lakes and relished helping children overcome their problems.

She had planned to leave work early on Friday, he
said, but never had the chance. In a news
conference, he told reporters the loss was
devastating, but that Ms Sherlach was doing what she loved.

"Mary felt like she was doing God's work," he
said, "working with the children."

<http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/sandy-hook-heroine-victoria-soto-and-colleagues-saved-many-lives-as-the-killer-adam-lanza-struck-16251118.html>VICTORIA
SOTO, 27

She beams in snapshots. Her enthusiasm and cheer
was evident. She was doing what she loved. And
now, Victoria Soto is being called a hero.

Though details of the 27-year-old teacher's death
remain vague, her name has been invoked again and
again as a portrait of selflessness and humanity
among unfathomable evil. Those who knew her said
they were not surprised by reports she shielded her first-graders from danger.

"She put those children first. That's all she
ever talked about," said a friend, Andrea
Crowell. "She wanted to do her best for them, to
teach them something new every day."

Photos of Ms Soto show her always with a wide
smile, at her college graduation and in mundane daily life.

"You have a teacher who cared more about her
students than herself," said Mayor John Harkins
of Stratford, the town Ms Soto hailed from and
where more than 300 people gathered for a
memorial service on Saturday night. "That speaks
volumes to her character, and her commitment and dedication."

<http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/sandy-hook-heroine-victoria-soto-and-colleagues-saved-many-lives-as-the-killer-adam-lanza-struck-16251118.html>More:
Victoria Soto and colleagues saved many lives as the killer Adam Lanza struck

BENJAMIN WHEELER, SIX

Music surrounded Benjamin as he grew up in a
household where his mother and father were performers.

They left behind stage careers in New York City
when they moved to Newtown with Benjamin and his older brother Nate.

"We knew we wanted a piece of lawn, somewhere
quiet, somewhere with good schools," Francine
Wheeler told the Newtown Bee in a profile.

She is a music educator and singer-songwriter.
Sometimes the musical mother would try out tunes
on her own children, with some tunes she made up
for Ben as a baby eventually finding their way
onto a CD, she told the newspaper.

In writing songs for children, melodies need not
be simplified, she said. "I try to make it my
mission to always present good music to kids."

Benjamin's father David, a former film and
television actor, writes and performs still,
according to a profile on the website of the
Flagpole Radio Cafe theatre, with which he has performed in Newtown.

The family are members of Trinity Episcopal
Church, whose website noted that Nate, also a
student at Sandy Hook, was not harmed in Friday's shooting.