[Rushtalk] Oh, Boy!

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 19 20:22:13 MST 2012

Professors decry ‘witch hunt,’ rally around Erik
Loomis in name of ‘academic freedom’

Posted at 9:46 pm on December 19, 2012 by Twitchy
Staff |
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/19/professors-decry-witch-hunt-rally-around-erik-loomis-in-name-of-academic-freedom/#disqus_thread>View
Comments

@<https://twitter.com/michellemalkin>michellemalkin
-- Profs defending private tweets of
@<https://twitter.com/ErikLoomis>ErikLoomis won't
say what the "academic freedom" interest is.
<http://bit.ly/TAcYkf>bit.ly/TAcYkf.
­
Badger Pundit (@thebadger14)
<http://twitter.com/#%21/thebadger14/status/281538496710201344>December
19, 2012

Eight professors have joined together to issue a
statement in support of University of Rhode
Island assistant professor Erik Loomis, who last
week tweeted that he
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/university-of-rhode-island-professors-retweet-murder-anyone-who-thinks-teachers-should-be-armed/>wanted
NRA executive vice president ”Wayne LaPierre’s head on a stick.”

The authors of the statement,
<http://crookedtimber.org/2012/12/19/statement-on-erik-loomis/>posted
on the blog Crooked Timber, defend Loomis’ tweet
as an example of metaphor and say their defense
was “pulled together on an emergency basis” ­
perhaps explaining why distinguished academics
would cite the Urban Dictionary as their source
in explaining what “head on a stick” means, as
well as their omission of his retweets of other
violent metaphors wishing for those who support
arming teachers to be “beaten to death” and Dick
Morris to be
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/sick-disgraced-rhode-island-prof-erik-loomis-wanted-to-hunt-down-dick-morris-like-a-pig/>hunted
down and skinned for breakfast.

Nevertheless, Loomis has found defenders in
academia, who worry that “his lack of tenure
makes him vulnerable,” a state of affairs the
rest of us who don’t enjoy the defense of
“academic freedom” ­ that is, ”scholars’ freedom
independently to express views (even intemperate
ones) on topics of public importance” ­ face
every day while arguing our beliefs in the public
sphere. The fact that Loomis’ tweets seemingly
had nothing to do with his teaching or his field
of study further stretches the idea that
academics should enjoy special protection from
criticism. Meanwhile, the authors of Loomis’
defense call on university administrators to
“affirm
 the protections of the First Amendment”
while overlooking a call for the head of a proponent of the Second Amendment.

We at Twitchy wish harm on no one, but Loomis’
public tweets and retweets were enough to
<http://www.uri.edu/news/memo/president/statement12182012.html>elicit
a statement from the University of Rhode Island
distancing the school from them. Supporters who
made no mention of the ugliness of Loomis’
Twitter activity were quick to call the criticism
of Loomis an “ugly, vindictive witch hunt.”

I'm the opposite of an Erik Loomis fan, but I
endorse every word of this: about the ugly,
vindictive witch hunt at him <http://is.gd/WVoDzC>is.gd/WVoDzC­
Glenn Greenwald (@ggreenwald)
<http://twitter.com/#%21/ggreenwald/status/281531446542344192>December 19, 2012
I stand with Erik Loomis.
<http://bit.ly/12qb6zB>bit.ly/12qb6zB Malkin &
her goons once tried to get me fired, which failed miserably.­
Matt Browner Hamlin (@mbrownerhamlin)
<http://twitter.com/#%21/mbrownerhamlin/status/281532382601957376>December
19, 2012
The fact that the first urge Michelle Malkin had
upon hearing about 20 dead kids was to find
someone to try to get fired says it all.­
Amanda Marcotte (@AmandaMarcotte)
<http://twitter.com/#%21/AmandaMarcotte/status/281534620795809792>December
19, 2012

Try to get fired? Is that a metaphor for reposting someone’s own words?

So I see the RWNJs are ginning up a fake outrage
campaign against a college professor who used a
metaphor. <http://po.st/oAKctG>po.st/oAKctG­
Tom Tomorrow (@tomtomorrow)
<http://twitter.com/#%21/tomtomorrow/status/281519214978818048>December
19, 2012
Hey,
@<https://twitter.com/tomtomorrow>tomtomorrow
stood up for Sarah Palin when people excoriated
her for using a metaphor, didn't he?­
Jim Treacher (@jtLOL)
<http://twitter.com/#%21/jtLOL/status/281549104721575937>December 19, 2012

No, but you see, there’s an important
distinction.
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/flashback-erik-loomis-criticized-sarah-palin-for-violent-rhetoric/>Violent
rhetoric ­ um, metaphor ­ wasn’t acceptable when
Sarah Palin now-famously used an image of
crosshairs on an election map. But as
<http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2012/12/what-is-violent-rhetoric-redux>a
defense of Loomis on the blog Lawyers, Guns &
Money informs us, “Rhetoric is only ‘violent’
when its intent is encourage violent acts to a receptive audience.”

So while Palin’s map stands as an example of
violent rhetoric, the statement that declares
Loomis to be in the “the crosshairs of the state
and his employer” is not. As long as we’re having
fun with metaphor now, let’s all call for heads on sticks.

I’d like to see the University of Rhode Island’s
president’s head on a (metaphorical) stick:
<http://crookedtimber.org/2012/12/19/statement-on-erik-loomis/>crookedtimber.org/2012/12/19/sta
­

Matt Yglesias (@mattyglesias)
<http://twitter.com/#%21/mattyglesias/status/281530752276000768>December
19, 2012
I want Glenn Reynolds' head on a stick­
Dana Houle (@DanaHoule)
<http://twitter.com/#%21/DanaHoule/status/281517005847281664>December 19, 2012
I want Michelle Malkin's head on a stick­
Dana Houle (@DanaHoule)
<http://twitter.com/#%21/DanaHoule/status/281517059404353536>December 19, 2012

Is that what Loomis’ defenders meant when they
called for supporters to “Be polite, be civil, be
firm”? We’d prefer to call for cooler heads to
prevail, and we’ll assume our “metaphor
illiterate” readers know we don’t mean that literally.

Metaphor illiterate get Rhode Island prof in
cross hairs (not literally! we hope!) over
<http://twitter.com/search?q=%23newtown>#newtown
tweet:
<http://crookedtimber.org/2012/12/19/statement-on-erik-loomis/comment-page-7/#comment-439350>crookedtimber.org/2012/12/19/sta
­

Duncan Murrell (@dvmurrell)
<http://twitter.com/#%21/dvmurrell/status/281563801529249793>December 20, 2012
Let's call it what it is: an attempt to silence a
blogger critic of the NRA. <http://is.gd/WVoDzC>is.gd/WVoDzC­
Leo Casey (@LeoECasey)
<http://twitter.com/#%21/LeoECasey/status/281548840404934656>December 19, 2012

Again, we see no attempt to silence; in fact, the
“right-wing witch hunt” arose from little more
than (metaphorically) holding up a megaphone to
Loomis’ existing speech. Was Loomis “forced” to
delete his Twitter account,
<http://www.whiteoliphaunt.com/duckofminerva/2012/12/academic-administrative-fecklessness.html>as
another blog asserts, or to remove his university
affiliation from his profile? Twitchy and other
bloggers have no such power, and we wouldn’t use
it if we could. In the meantime, a vigorous debate over guns continues.

But if we as a nation are truly going to have a
“conversation” about guns in the wake of the
unspeakable Sandy Hook Elementary massacre, let’s
say what we mean, and stand by it.

Related:

<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/liberal-journo-mike-elk-sad-about-death-threats-to-death-threat-connoisseur-erik-loomis/>Liberal
journo Mike Elk sad about death threats to death threat connoisseur Erik Loomis

<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/flashback-erik-loomis-criticized-sarah-palin-for-violent-rhetoric/>Flashback:
Erik Loomis criticized Sarah Palin for ‘violent rhetoric’

<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/sick-disgraced-rhode-island-prof-erik-loomis-wanted-to-hunt-down-dick-morris-like-a-pig/>Sick
retweet by disgraced Rhode Island prof Erik
Loomis: ‘Hunt down Dick Morris like a pig’

<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/unverified-claim-erik-loomis-removed-professor-from-his-twitter-bio/>Rhode
Island professor Erik Loomis deletes his Twitter
account; Update: What is he hiding?

<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/university-of-rhode-island-professors-retweet-murder-anyone-who-thinks-teachers-should-be-armed/>University
of Rhode Island professor’s retweet: Murder
anyone who thinks teachers should be armed;
Update: Police met with prof; Update: University issues statement
<https://twitter.com/twitchyteam>

Share this:

Like this:

<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/19/professors-decry-witch-hunt-rally-around-erik-loomis-in-name-of-academic-freedom/?like=1&source=post_flair&_wpnonce=97257dee4e>Like
Be the first to like this.

<http://www.intermarkets.net/advertisers/portfolio/commentary/twitchy.html>Advertise
on Twitchy

Sign up for our newsletter

Related Tweets

<http://twitter.com/#%21/search/realtime/%22Erik%20Loomis%22>More Tweets
    *
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/19/professors-decry-witch-hunt-rally-around-erik-loomis-in-name-of-academic-freedom/#viewed>Most
Viewed
    *
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/19/professors-decry-witch-hunt-rally-around-erik-loomis-in-name-of-academic-freedom/#commented>Most
Commented
    *
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/actress-marg-helgenberger-one-can-only-hope-nra-members-get-shot/>Actress
Marg Helgenberger: 'One can only hope' NRA members get shot
    * 1 day ago · 145543 views
    *
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/university-of-rhode-island-professors-retweet-murder-anyone-who-thinks-teachers-should-be-armed/>University
of Rhode Island professor's retweet: Murder
anyone who thinks teachers should be armed;
Update: Police met with prof; Update: University issues statement
    * 2 days ago · 50530 views
    *
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/unverified-claim-erik-loomis-removed-professor-from-his-twitter-bio/>Rhode
Island professor Erik Loomis deletes his Twitter
account; Update: What is he hiding?
    *
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/unverified-claim-erik-loomis-removed-professor-from-his-twitter-bio/>2
days ago · 45090 views
    *
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/i-will-talk-to-you-in-my-prayers-letter-from-best-friend-of-6-year-old-newtown-victim-jack-pinto/>'I
will talk to you in my prayers': Letter from best
friend of 6-year-old Newtown victim Jack Pinto
    * 2 days ago · 44200 views
    *
<http://twitchy.com/2012/12/18/texas-dem-party-official-apologizes-for-threatening-nra-twitterers-dont-accept/>Texas
Dem. party official apologizes for threatening NRA, Twitterers don't accept
    * 2 days ago · 10636 views