[Rushtalk] JD, Paf, Carl? Whaddya Say Now?!?

Paf Dvorak notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info
Wed Dec 26 02:34:01 MST 2012

At 11:27 PM 12/25/2012 -0500, John A. Quayle wrote:

>><http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/24/ron-paul-rips-nra-plan-for-officers-in-every-school/>http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/24/ron-paul-rips-nra-plan-for-officers-in-every-school/

I agree with Dr. Paul:

"School shootings, no matter how horrific, do not justify creating an
Orwellian surveillance state in America,"

"Do we really want to live in a world of police checkpoints,
surveillance cameras, metal detectors, X-ray scanners and warrantless
physical searches? We see this culture in our airports: witness the
shabby spectacle of once proud, happy Americans shuffling through
long lines while uniformed TSA agents bark orders. This is the world
of government provided 'security,' a world far too many Americans now
seem to accept or even endorse,"

"Predictably, the political left responded to the tragedy with
emotional calls for increased gun control. This is understandable,
but misguided. The impulse to have government 'do something' to
protect us in the wake national tragedies is reflexive and often well
intentioned," Paul said. "The political right, unfortunately, has
fallen into the same trap in its calls for quick legislative
solutions to gun violence. If only we put armed police or armed
teachers in schools, we're told, would-be school shooters will be
dissuaded or stopped."

He continued: "I don't agree that conservatives and libertarians
should view government legislation, especially at the federal level,
as the solution to violence. Real change can happen only when we
commit ourselves to rebuilding civil society in America, meaning a
society based on family, religion, civic and social institutions, and
peaceful cooperation through markets."

Paf Dvorak

notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info