[Rushtalk] Texas Secession Petition Tops Goal – Requires Review By White House

Carl Spitzer Winblows at lavabit.com
Sat Dec 29 09:42:00 MST 2012

Texas Secession Petition Tops Goal – Requires Review By White House

by Tim Brown

November 13, 2012

As I reported over the weekend, Texas and Louisiana citizens began
petitions to the White House to peacefully withdraw from the United
States and then yesterday that number had grown to nearly forty states.
As this happened, the Texas petition topped it’s goal of 20,000
signatures.

As of the writing of this article, the Texas petition has 70,278
signatures, nearly three times the amount required to be reviewed by the
White House.

According to the White House petition site, once the petition reaches
25,000 signatures within 30 days “White House staff will review it,
ensure it’s sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an
official response.”

Below is a video that explains how the process is supposed to work:
http://s.ytimg.com/yts/swfbin/watch_as3-vflry7sRc.swf

I admit, I am wary of petitioning the federal government over any of
this. However, I think the number of petitions and the people signing is
only an indication that the “union” is no longer united. This along with
the recent election demonstrate that we are a nation divided.

It was at another period in our history where states sought to
peacefully withdraw from the Union, only to be invaded by that very
Union. With stakes as high as they are now, I am not very optimistic
that the current state of things in America will lead to a peaceful
agreement between the federal government and the states.

Let me be clear, these petitions are not put forth by the states
officially, but they are put forth by residents of those states. After
all, the people are the ones who select their representatives and if the
people voice their disapproval of what is taking place at the federal
level enough in their own state, this may gain traction. I suggest not
only signing the petition for your state, but letting your state
legislature know and possibly garnering signatures to provide your state
legislature and governor with.

Texas Governor Rick Perry says he will not give credibility to the
online movement. His spokesperson Catherine Frazier said that while
Perry “shares the frustrations many Americans have with our federal
government,” the governor “believes in the greatness of our Union and
nothing should be done to change it.”

I’m guessing the governor has not heard directly from the 70,000 plus
people who have signed the petition. Perhaps phone calls and such might
just let him know how serious the people of his state actually are.

I leave you with the words of the Founders in the Declaration of
Independence:

" We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable
Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of
Happiness.—That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among
Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,—That
whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is
the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new
Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its
powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their
Safety and Happiness."

Clearly they believed in the right of peaceful secession of the states
from the Union.

UPDATE: Louisiana has also met their goal.

UPDATE 2: Two petitions have been filed at the White House Petitions
site against those petitioning for withdraw. “Deport Everyone That
Signed A Petition To Withdraw Their State From The United States Of
America” and “Strip the Citizenship from Everyone who Signed a Petition
to Secede and Exile Them.”

Sorry to say, there may be a Union, but there is definitely not unity.
--
ObombA did not win erection, Trotskite RINO Mitt Romney threw the
election.  -- Rush Limbaugh