"Are You Better Off? 40 Statistics That Will Absolutely Shock You"

JD northgate76 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 10 12:42:45 MDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM, John A. Quayle <blueoval57 at verizon.net>wrote:

>  At 11:28 AM 9/10/2012, Steven Laib wrote:
>
> The medical industry will continue to charge as much as it can get away
> with as long as someone is willing to pay. Hospitals always say how much
> money they are losing, but, for example, the Medical Center hospital
> complex in Houston looks like a 5 star hotel. They are not running on a
> lean, low cost model. And competition isn't operating the way it should.
> When I had a lithotripsy done last fall one hospital outed me 11k to do it.
> Another offered the same for less than 3.
>
> We are seeing the same in college costs. Tuition keeps going up, but is
> the education any better?
>

> **
>         ** *It's like my Econ prof told us in grad school, "nothing will
> cost more than the money available to cover it." IOWs, as long as there's a
> bottomless pit of money, there's no incentive to curb spiraling costs.
> Double and triple billing will be more rampant than ever under Obamacare.
>
> *

Right. That's why four categories of goods and services inflated during
times of no or low inflation: cars, houses, college, and medical stuff.
All depend on third-party payment and all except cars are subsidized
directly or indirectly by government tax funds. Cars are financed by loans
that, if you noticed, crept from 36 month to 72 month terms.

The multiple billing is a slightly different matter.  The hospital or doc
knows that either the insco or Medicare/Medicaid is going to cut the
payment dramatically or deny it outright, so they pad the bills hoping that
the cut will be down to what they wanted to charge in the first place.  And
the beat goes on.

JD