[Rushtalk] Just Speechless!

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 5 11:32:05 MDT 2013

On Good Friday, NPR Denies Jesus Was God, Compares Him to IRA Terrorist Instead

By <https://newsbusters.org/bios/tim-graham.html>Tim Graham | April
05, 2013 | 07:22

<https://newsbusters.org/bios/tim-graham.html>
Tim Graham's picture

<http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2012/12/06/npr-deeply-enjoys-playing-fire-basic-tenets-christianity>Late
last year, NPR already proved its affinity for publicizing a vicious
tale where the Virgin Mary is turned into a bitter atheist who denies
the divinity of Jesus and hates the Apostles for trying to spread
Christianity. But NPR proved it again....on Good Friday.

The news "hook" is the forthcoming Broadway adaptation, a one-woman
monologue, set to open on April 22. So NPR obviously timed the piece
to tweak the Christians. All Things Considered anchor Robert
Siegel<http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=175685701>
interviewed the actress, Fiona Shaw, and after he heard her read from
this Christian-bashing work in an Irish brogue, he compared Jesus to
an Irish Republican Army terrorist leader:

SHAW: (Reading) Where is my son? Close to Jerusalem. The site for the
crucifixion has been chosen. It will be near the city. I had seen a
crucifixion once carried out by the Romans on one of their own. It
stayed with me, the sight in the distance, the unspeakable image, the
vast fierce cruelty of it. But I did not know precisely how the
victim died or how long it took. I found myself asking Marcus how
long a crucifixion takes as if it was something ordinary. He replied,
days maybe, but sometimes hours. It depends. On what? Don't ask, he
said. It's better if you don't ask.

SIEGEL: Perhaps it's just the accent, but I can't help but think of
some IRA leader who's (laughter) been turned in by his mother's
cousin who knows he's working with the RUC [Royal Ulster
Constabulary], you know?

Siegel didn't see fit to explain that the novelist/playwright, Colm
Toibin, is a gay leftist, or that Shaw is openly gay as well. This
could be a taste of where Christianity is headed in the Brave New
World of "payback" presently being assembled. At the beginning, Shaw
was asked to explain the character, which she quickly volunteered was
submerged in the Bible (because who remembers that beautiful
Magnificat speech in Luke 1?)

[]
SHAW: She's very little in the New Testament. You know, she hardly
ever speaks, twice or three times. So they've definitely kept her in
a background role. And Colm seems to have thrown a spotlight on her
and sort of filled in, in a way, and he's diverted a bit from the
Testament of the Apostles. But he has moved - fundamentally, it's a
story of a mother whose son, of course, heads to terrible destruction
and her having to witness the destruction of her son, which is very
painful, and in that way, it's very like many modern women who may be
the mothers of soldiers or the mothers of, you know, revolutionaries.
It's there, really, is where the connection lies, I think.

SIEGEL: The play is set several years after the crucifixion...

SHAW: Yeah.

SIEGEL: ...and Mary is not exactly on board with the version of
Jesus' life that his disciples, among them her minders, are busily assembling.

SHAW: Yes. The premise of the play is that these guys want to write
the story of what had happened some years earlier and to make it
global and to make it - to proselytize a religion based on the death
of this man. And she has a story to tell, and she says to them very
forcibly that she is a witness. But, of course, Colm has taken the
story and diverted it slightly. She has witnessed it, she didn't like
what she witnessed, she was frightened of her son's - the crowds that
he began to gather. And she really found it hard to believe that he
could work miracles. She just feels he's endangering himself with
every big grand gesture that he seems to be associated with.

And what's very good about this is that it becomes then a very sad
meditation on the crucifixion, as she has to watch her son go through
that torture. But you also get a sense that she and, you know, she
wants her son back. She wants him to be her son. I think that's very
understandable. She doesn't want him to be a big star in the world.

Remember this reason to pledge the next time National Public Radio
comes asking for money: "Because we're fond of opportunities to tell
American Christians that Jesus isn't God."

About the Author

Tim Graham is Director of Media Analysis at the Media Research
Center. <http://twitter.com/#%21/TimJGraham>Click here to follow Tim
Graham on Twitter.