[Rushtalk] The Startling Hypocrisy of John McCain

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 20 13:03:48 MDT 2013

he Startling Hypocrisy of John McCain

By <http://eaglerising.com/author/onancoca/>Onan
Coca / 20 August 2013 /
<http://eaglerising.com/1298/the-startling-hypocrisy-of-john-mccain/#comments>2
comments
67 Share140 22

“We have no credibility. We do have influence,
but when you don’t use that influence, then you
do not have that influence.”              ­ John
McCain in an
<http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08/18/mccain-u-s-has-no-credibility-in-egypt/>interview
on CNN

Let’s begin by saying that John McCain is not
wrong when he says the US has no credibility in
its Mideast dealings. He is not wrong. However,
he is being incredibly hypocritical, as he has
supported the vast majority of this
administration’s movements in the Mideast over
the last few years. In fact, on the rare
occasions he has disagreed with President Obama’s
decisions, they have been disagreements over
“degrees” not actions. For example, agrees with
aid to the Syrian rebels, but believes that we
should be giving far more aid than we have offered.

His recent interview on CNN came about over
questions on the administration’s Egypt policy.
Here Senator McCain displays in full effect his
ability to move back and forth between two very different positions.

Less than a month ago Senator McCain voted for
the continued financial support of Egypt, even
though the nation had just endured a military
coup of a suitably elected government. (Mind you,
that elected government is the complete
antithesis to a free democratic society
 but they
were legally elected.) Just two weeks ago, McCain
and many of his
<http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/07/paul-amendment-to-stop-aid-to-egypt-fails/>like-minded
associates voted against Senator Rand Paul’s
(R-KY) amendment to discontinue all aid to Egypt.
In fact, 83 Senators voted to table the amendment
and only 13 voted alongside Senator Paul. In a
stunning reversal, McCain (and several of his
Senate minions) has changed his mind in record time.

Senator
<http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/16/cairo-bloodbath-prompts-rand-paul-to-condemn-colleagues-over-egypt-aid/>Paul
had strong words just this past week for those
Senators who voted against his amendment. “This
is something that those who voted in Congress are
going to have to live with
 The question is: How
does their conscience feel now as they see
photographs of tanks rolling over Egyptian
civilians? This mindset that if you don’t give
people money and weapons, then you’re not engaged
is bizarre, I want to engage with the world, I
just don’t want to be engaged in battle
 When
you’re protesting in the streets and you’re run
over by an American tank, you’re not going to be
appreciative of American engagement.” Paul
concluded by saying, “Congress is way out of
touch on this issue
 These people who believe in
projecting American power, really believe in
projecting American weakness. They don’t want us
to respond to words with actions or obey our own laws.”

<http://eaglerising.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/barack-obama-john-mccain.jpg>
barack-obama-john-mccain
Senator Paul’s outrage and anger were palpable.
Our leaders are decrying the violence in the
Mideast, even as we waft back and forth between
support for tyrannical regimes and support for
rebel groups allied with al-Qaeda and other
terrorist organizations. When will our leaders
realize that the Mideast is a no-win situation?
We can either side with despotic regimes who rule
with an iron fist, or we can support rebel groups
who are run by Islamofascist terrorists. The best
option is to pull our money, weapons and people
out of the region until the strife ends.

Senator McCain has voiced support for military
action in Libya, Egypt, Syria and Iran. He has
supported drone strikes in Pakistan, Yemen, and
anywhere else in the Middle East that they might
prove “necessary.” In all of these cases the
Obama administration has agreed with Senator
McCain. If anyone has done anything to lead
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/18/us-lost-credibility-egypt-john-mccain>to
our loss of credibility in the Mideast, it is
John McCain. He and President Obama (along with
Hillary Clinton, Lindsey Graham, and others) have
led a dueling campaign of destruction when it
comes to our “credibility” in dealing with the Mideast.

Perhaps it’s time for these foreign policy
has-beens (Obama, McCain, et al) to pass the
torch on to some politicians who still have some credibility.