[Rushtalk] Thoughts

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 21 10:14:17 MDT 2013

Not sure what you are saying but if you mean to imply that the NSA can
decrypt PGP you are mostly incorrect. While it is possible to decrypt
PGP, the compute power and time needed makes it impractical to do
routinely let alone on every encrypted email across the internet. When
Phil Zimmerman released the algorithm, the Feds went after him with a
vengeance because of the extreme measures needed to decrypt it. It meant
the feds could not practically control encryption any more. However,
Phil was smart in that he distributed it only domestically so it did not
come under any of the federal encryption laws and their attempts to shut
him down failed (not for lack of trying). Now the genie is out of the
bottle and the Feds can do nothing to stop it, at least domestically.
The best they can do is get a subpoena and confiscate your private key
from your computer and somehow force you to reveal your pass phrase.

Now, once you decrypt the message on your side, the sender is at your
mercy if someone should hack your computer and you saved it decrypted or
you should forward it unencrypted. But that burden is on you and not a
function of anything the feds can do.