[Rushtalk] Democratic versus Democrat

JD northgate76 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 17:30:45 MST 2013

It's always been The Democratic Party.  "Democratic" is an adjective that
modifies "Party." Members are Democrats.  Members of the Republican Party
are Republicans, but here the adjective is the same as the noun because
"Republic" is actually a form of government, hence already taken.
"Democrat" on the other hand, has never had any meaning other than a member
of the Democratic party.  About twenty years ago,  conservatives started
using the phrase "Democrat party" as a mild swipe at the oppositiion and
because "democratic" has come to have other generally positive connotations.

Sorry to harsh yer buzz, Richard, but that's the way it is.