[Rushtalk] Updating Old Proverbs

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 7 23:35:48 MST 2013

ETWEEN THE LINES

It's time to update some old proverbs

Exclusive: Joseph Farah revises Ronald Reagan's 11th Commandment

Published: 5 hours ago
author-image
  by <http://www.wnd.com/author/jfarah/>Joseph
Farah <mailto:jfarah at worldnetdaily.com>Email |
<http://www.wnd.com/author/jfarah/>Archive
author alerts
  Receive author alerts <http://www.wnd.com/author/jfarah/feed>
rss feed
<http://www.wnd.com/author/jfarah/feed> Subscribe to feed
Joseph Farah is founder, editor and CEO of WND
and a nationally syndicated columnist with
<http://www.creators.com>Creators Syndicate. He
is the author or co-author of 13 books, including
his latest,
<http://superstore.wnd.com/s.nl/c.811217/id.1030/.f>"The
Tea Party Manifesto," and his classic,
"<http://superstore.wnd.com/BOOKS/Taking-America-Back-Autographed-Updated-Cover-Paperback>Taking
America Back," now in its third edition and 14th
printing. Farah is the former editor of the
legendary Sacramento Union and other major-market
dailies.<http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/its-time-to-update-some-old-proverbs/#>More

    * <http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/its-time-to-update-some-old-proverbs/print/>
    Printer Friendly

    * Text smaller
    * Text bigger

You remember this one: “Give a man a fish and he
will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.”

But that’s not what Americans believe any more,
if the 2012 election is any indication.

So how should that adage be amended?

How about this? “Give a man a welfare check, a
free cell phone with unlimited minutes, free
Internet, cash for clunkers, food stamps, Section
8 housing, free contraceptives, Medicaid, 99
weeks of unemployment, and/or free medicine, and
he will vote Democratic the rest of his life – even after he’s dead.”

Does that about say it?

Is that not the new reigning ethos in Washington
– among not just Democrats, apparently, but even among plenty of Republicans?

How about Ronald Reagan’s 11th Commandment:
“Though shall not speak ill of any fellow Republican.”

Just this week a highly overrated and highly
overpaid political consultant by the name of Karl
Rove stood this principle on its head by
announcing his super-pac’s plan to run attack ads
against conservative Republicans beginning in the
2014 midterm election primary season, in effect
subsidizing Democratic Party philosophy and
candidates in their general elections.

So maybe it’s time to revise Reagan’s 11th
Commandment. Maybe something like this: “Don’t
bother working hard for the candidates who
represent true Republican and conservative
values. Let the elitist Republican establishment
do your thinking for you. After all, look how
well they performed with their selections and spending in 2012.”

How about this one? It’s a great quote from the
late liberal Democratic senator and vice
president Hubert Horatio Humphrey of Minnesota.
In 1960, he, like other members of his party at
the time, had a perspective on guns shared by
few, if any, members of his party today.

“Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom
under any government no matter how popular or
respected, is the right to keep and bear arms.
This is not to say that firearms should not be
very carefully used, and that definite safety
rules of precaution should not be taught and
enforced. But the right of citizens to bear arms
is just one more guarantee against arbitrary
government, one more safeguard against a tyranny,
which now appears remote in America, but which
historically has proved to be always possible.”

How shall we revise that principle today?

Perhaps along these lines: “Certainly target
shooting and hunting are American traditions that
must be respected. But right now, as tyranny in
America seems more possible than ever, it’s time
to remove entire classifications of firearms from
the American people, who can no longer be trusted
not to misuse them. Therefore, it’s time to
ignore the Constitution’s Second Amendment and
the express purpose for which it was drafted and
ratified, along the rest of the Bill of Rights,
and begin disarming Americans so they will not be
able to resist further encroachments on their God-given liberty.”

Following the 2012 election, there’s another
familiar phrase that needs revisiting.

“Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.”

You might recall how Karl Rove’s buddy George W.
Bush botched that one up so badly. It was apropos
for the president who virtually handed Barack
Obama the presidency in 2008 with his famous
quote: “I’ve abandoned free market principles to save the free market system.”

Here’s how Bush revised the “fool me once” adage:
“There’s an old saying in Tennessee – I know it’s
in Texas, probably in Tennessee – that says, fool
me once, shame on – shame on you. Fool me – you
can’t get fooled again.” (You have to see this one to believe it!)

But, as evidenced in the last election, people
can get fooled again – even when they are warned,
as my colleague and friend Aaron Klein did so
skillfully in his 2012 campaign book,
<http://superstore.wnd.com/books/Fool-Me-Twice-Obamas-Shocking-Plans-for-the-Next-Four-Years-Exposed-Hardcover>“Fool
Me Twice.”

So how about this? “Fool me once, shame on me.
Fool me twice, shame on Karl Rove.”