[Rushtalk] Logical Consistency Warning

Paf Dvorak notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info
Tue Feb 12 17:07:01 MST 2013

Logical Consistency Warning: Severe mental
discomfort may result from any serious
consideration of the comparison made in the
following essay. Please disregard said comparison
as ridiculous in order to restore previous state of mental tranquility.

----------
Here is a familiar passage that any
self-respecting Patriot recognizes and supports:

". . . that whenever any Form of Government
becomes destructive of these ends, it is the
Right of the People to alter or to abolish it . . . ."

Disciples of the Founding Fathers often cite the
above extract from the Declaration of
Independence and its endorsement of armed
revolution as the proper and just method for The
People to take back control of The Government run amok.

Well, we are currently being treated to a live
preview of such action, and I'm sensing that many
upstanding, moral Constitutionalists don't
approve of what they are witnessing. But of
course that’s because they don't make the connection. Or else refuse to.

If you want to know what revolution looks like,
check out what's happening in California. A
gentleman named
<http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/02/08/1185500/-LAPD-Dorner-Why-Revolutions-Are-Messy>Christopher
Dorner is currently undertaking an armed
rebellion against a tyrannical organization. He
has killed people and is threatening to kill some more.

This is the stark ugliness that is baked into
supposedly noble sentiments such as "The tree of
liberty must be refreshed from time to time with
the blood of patriots and tyrants." If you
disapprove of Mr. Dorner's actions, then I can't
see how you can advocate for revolution, which is
the exact same idea, only with lots more murder.

Wait­what?! That’s a horribly offensive, invalid
comparison! He killed innocent people! Besides,
he is just an individual. That doesn't count. A
real revolution requires The People to undertake
the measure, not just a single individual who has
irresponsibly decided to take the law into his
own hands. If The People decide to endure the
injustices put forth by the government, then no
individual has the right to take up arms against the system on his own.

Well, as far as the killing of innocents goes, in
any “real” revolution, there will be many such
people killed. On purpose, even. That is the
price that must be paid if you want to play this
game. In the chaos of revolution, there will be
many Dorners exacting revenge in ways that suit
them. This is Pandora’s Box you’re opening, not a
box of chocolates. Many innocent people will be
killed, and this must be justified as “being
worth it” or else the strategy must be abandoned.

As for the rest, what a fine example of
<http://strike-the-root.com/slavespeak-part-i>Slavespeak!
We can kill but you cannot. We are special and
you are mundane. The ugliness you wreak as an
individual is unethical, because only when We
kill in industrial quantities for The One True
Just Cause is such killing justified and
downright noble. As an individual, you are
nothing. You shall bear the thumb being pressed
into your forehead until We decide otherwise. Now
get back in line, you. We are The People. You have been assimilated.

This is what logical inconsistency looks like:
The tyranny of government shall be countered by
the tyranny of The People, with the individual at
all times remaining subservient to both illusory
creatures. Jim Davies recently summed up quite
nicely the beauty and simplicity of logical
consistency as it applies to aggression in
<http://strike-the-root.com/to-see-yet-not-to-see>a
recent essay here on STR, complete with some
easy-to-follow examples. If I recall correctly,
the takeaway message was “A is A.” There was no
asterisk with fine print copy below that stated
“except when A is B.” This is simplicity itself, not rocket surgery.

Of course Dorner's actions will not change the
system except to strengthen it, because he is
using the system's signature tool­aggression.
Already the proposal to use
<http://www.salon.com/2013/02/11/dorner_a_drone_target_on_u_s_soil/>drones
against him is being trotted out. Thanks for the
excuse! Drones are Absolutely Necessary to catch
this domestic terrorist! The winner will justify
whatever use of force it employs because that’s
what winners do. And so if Dorner were to
actually succeed in overthrowing the entire LAPD,
he would be called a hero and the LAPD would be
the ones painted with the Big Brush o’ Evil, and
then he would be in the position to rule the LAPD
through force. What might happen then?

And this is why revolutions are merely wheels
spinning in the mud that keep people revolving
around a central hub of aggression, whirling
around in an endlessly destructive cycle. We must
begin to act as individuals in order to break out
of this, and that is not to say by individually
taking up arms against the aggressors. Instead,
walk away and take your spoke out of the wheel
and take it with you, and encourage others to do
the same. The wheel cannot continue to spin
without spokes. Disconnect from the violence.
Unplug. The hub is useless when it is disconnected from the rest of the wheel.

You say you want a real solution? Revolutions
feed the violence and keep the wheel spinning in
place. Let's just end this ride once and for all
and walk together to the destination that
everyone really wants to reach. There will be, of
course, those who will not benefit from such a
mass abandonment and will attempt to stop it. The
first defense is to stop providing guns and
blessings to these people. The next step is to
garner enough support for nonaggression to ensure
that no one will dare stand in front of the
exodus for fear of being trampled over.

There is one thing stronger than armies: an idea whose time has come.
~Victor Hugo

The idea is nonaggression, and its time is coming.

But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
~John Lennon, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_%28song%29>Revolution

Paf Dvorak

<http://thatswaytoomuch.info/>notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info