[Rushtalk] Not April 1st

Paf Dvorak notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info
Sat Jan 5 10:55:22 MST 2013

If today was April fools day I could understand a story like this...

Can We Avert The Coming Debt Ceiling Crisis With A Magic Coin?

Because of the deal made on New Year's Day that averted the immediate
impact of the so-called fiscal cliff, America will face a sequel to
the debt ceiling hostage crisis that led to the super committee and
the sequester and the fiscal cliff and the fiscal cliff solution and
the sequel to the debt ceiling hostage crisis that led to the super
committee and the sequester and the fiscal cliff and the fiscal cliff
solution, et cetera, ad infinitum. The best of all possible fiscal
cliff deals would have included a guaranteed de-weaponization of the
debt ceiling. Since the fiscal cliff deal did not include any such
de-weaponization, America's credit and the global economy are
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/fiscal-cliff-debt-ceiling_n_2398091.html?utm_hp_ref=eat-the-press>still
very much jeopardized by the dangerous lunatics who have threatened
another round of hostage-taking.

What can be done about it? Well, what about a magic trillion-dollar
coin, wrought from platinum? Would that help?

Actually,
<http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/politics/2013/01/7052758/looking-next-debt-ceiling-fight-nadler-proposes-trillion-dollar-coi>in
an interview with Capital New York's Reid Pilifant, Rep. Jerrold
Nadler (D-N.Y.) suggests that it is possible to mint just such a
coin, stick it in the Federal Reserve, and stick a fork in the coming
debt ceiling crisis before it begins. "I'm being absolutely serious,"
Nadler told Pilifant, adding, "It sounds silly but it's absolutely
legal. And it would normally not be proper to consider such a thing,
except when you're faced with blackmail to destroy the country's
economy, you have to consider things."

Yes, it would be good to have some "things" you can do to save the
planet from the debt ceiling psychopaths. But how does the magic
platinum coin work? In the video above, we attempt to explain the
whole matter without having our heads explode, right down to whether
or not America is doomed if
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/01/07/130107fa_fact_green?currentPage=all>that
master pickpocket from that great New Yorker article steals the magic
platinum coin.

UPDATE: A group of citizens is
<https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/direct-united-states-mint-make-single-platinum-trillion-dollar-coin/8hvJbLl6>petitioning
President Barack Obama to begin minting platinum coins. If the
petition garners 25,000 signatures, the White House will be required
to respond. The petition reads:

"With the creation and Treasury deposit of a new platinum coin with a
value of $1 trillion US Dollars, we would avert the
absurd-yet-imminent debt ceiling faceoff in Congress in two quick and
simple steps! While this may seem like an unnecessarily extreme
measure, it is no more absurd than playing political football with
the US -- and global -- economy at stake."

Paf Dvorak

notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info