[Rushtalk] Jim Demint promoted to lead Heritage Foundation

Carl Spitzer Winblows at lavabit.com
Sun Jan 13 17:03:04 MST 2013

                                 image

Dear Friends,

There is tremendous news breaking right now within the conservative
movement.

I got the call before the news went out.

Jim DeMint, the standard bearer of the conservative movement in America
and conservative king maker, is resigning from the United States Senate
at the end of the year.

He will succeed Ed Fuelner as President of the Heritage Foundation.

While my initial reaction was one of sadness that we are losing the
clearest voice in the Senate for conservatives, the upside on Jim
DeMint's departure from the Senate is mind boggling. Mitch McConnell
likes it when people compare McConnell to Darth Vader, seemingly
clueless that Vader lost the Death Star twice to a rag tag group of
rebels in really beat up, hand-me-down spaceships.

If McConnell smiles at hearing the news Jim DeMint is leaving the
Senate, he should remember Obi Wan Kenobi telling him . . . errrr . . .
Darth Vader, "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than
you could possibly imagine." Jim DeMint's power in the conservative
movement just grew exponentially. A man who was going to retire in four
years anyway, will now be leading the conservative movement from its
base of operations for years to come.

Without Jim DeMint we would most likely not presently have in the United
States Senate Pat Toomey, Rand Paul, Mike Lee, Marco Rubio, Jeff Flake,
Ron Johnson, and Ted Cruz. We would not have a Republican establishment
that now worries conservatives might actually primary them.

Without Jim DeMint we would still have a conservative movement that is
part and parcel the Republican Party in name, word, and deed. DeMint
showed the Republican Party can be challenged from within and that
conservatism can be distinctly voiced from within the party moving it
right, not moving with it.

On January 3, 2011, Human Events named Jim DeMint the "conservative of
the year." I had the distinct privilege of writing the summation of the
honor. I noted, "DeMint’s tenure started out like that of most freshmen
congressmen — anonymous and committed to bringing home the bacon, much
like Rep. Inglis who, when Senator DeMint moved up to the Senate, moved
back into his old House seat until the tea party movement threw him out
in 2010."

But during the fight over No Child Left Behind, Jim DeMint got his first
real taste of Washington politics and decided he needed to change it.
For a time, he teamed up with conservatives in Congress to fight within
the GOP and move the party right. But there were not enough of them so
he went out and found them.

The Heritage Foundation's founding is a similar tale. The American
Enterprise Institute was the think tank of think tanks in Washington
prior to the Heritage Foundation's founding in 1973. It is nonpartisan,
but mostly right of center. In 1964, several top AEI staff including its
President, William J. Baroody, Sr., served on the side as policy
advisers to Barry Goldwater. That raised the IRS's eyebrows and, after
dealing with the IRS, AEI made in a policy to be center-right (mostly),
but very nonpartisan.

By 1973, with Nixon and price controls and the Rockefeller Republicans,
the conservative movement was ready to form a decidedly,
unapologetically conservative think tank to support the ideas of
conservatism through a growing movement of conservatives in Congress.
It's founding and present mission is to "formulate and promote
conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise,
limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and
a strong national defense". The Heritage Foundation set the stage for
Ronald Reagan. Without Heritage, no doubt Reagan could have won. But
Reagan's ideas and policies were incubated in the Heritage Foundation.
Heritage was the foundation of the Reagan Revolution.

The three founders of the Heritage Foundation were Paul Weyrich, Ed
Feulner, and Joseph Coors. Since 1977, Ed Fuelner has been the Heritage
Foundation's President.

One of the things I have been most fearful of within the conservative
movement is the realization that many of the leaders of the movement are
hitting retirement age. Some have already passed on to be with their
Maker. When I go to many of the off the record conservative meetings I
get asked to attend, I see people my parents' age and older. The Reagan
Revolutionaries are retiring or dying.

The present generation knows Reagan from history books, not from living
in his America. The up and coming leaders of the Republican Party were
kids, not even in high school, when Ronald Reagan was President. Nikki
Haley turned 9 the day Ronald Reagan was sworn into office. Marco Rubio
and Bobby Jindal were 10. Paul Ryan was 11. Ken Cuccinelli was 12. Scott
Walker was 13. I was 5 years old.

The conservative movement, still so attached to Reagan, risks becoming a
relic of history as it fails to adapt to the twenty-first century
tackling new ideas with its timeless principles. A great many
conservative organizations have no succession plan. When their leader
dies, the organization withers. All the money, time, and effort that
went into the organization fades.

When Ed Fuelner started the Heritage Foundation he was 39 years old and
still eight years from the Reagan Revolution. He is now just past 70 and
the nation is almost a quarter century removed from Ronald Reagan's last
year in office. Unlike many leaders in the conservative movement, Ed
Feulner has actually led all the way. He did not pass off his role to be
just a figure head. He has been engaged. He kept and is
keepingconservatism alive well past Reagan, through reading a lie off
George H. W. Bush's lips, through Bill Clinton's triangulation, even to
now during this superficial revival of American liberalism in politics
and popular culture. Like a monk preserving knowledge in the dark ages
in a monestary, Ed Fuelner turned the Heritage Foundation into a
monastery of conservatism making sure the timeless principles of Burke
and Kirk and Hayek and Reagan found the intellectual footing to advance
philosophy into policy and policy into politics.

More importantly, Ed Fuelner did it right. He has not left without
making sure his organization could stand without him. In doing so, he
made probably the boldest move since his founding — aligning an
organization many, including myself, have criticized in the past decade
as becoming too aligned with the GOP at the expense of conservatism
itself and stumbling on health care policy, with the grassroots of the
conservative movement. It is a near phoenix like move.

The Heritage Foundation, which more or less arose from the ashes of the
Goldwater conservatism that failed in the late sixties, became a key
player within institutional establishment Republican politics over the
past decade, and now suddenly finds its founder retiring and passing the
keys over to the man who has helped restart the conservative movement
within the political wing of the GOP in the way Ed Fuelner restarted the
conservative movement within the intellectual wing of the GOP.

There is no better person to take Ed Fuelner's job. It is a marvelous
transition. Ed Fuelner knew he was not the indispensable man, but has
now made sure the Heritage Foundation remains the indispensable
organization within the conservative movement. That is a brilliant
legacy.

As for Jim DeMint leaving the United States Senate, it is a very good
thing.

Please allow me to explain why and why you should be thrilled by this
move →

Sincerely yours,

Erick Erickson
Editor,MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from
"info.redstate.com" claiming to beRedState.com

--
ObombA did not win erection, Trotskite RINO Mitt Romney threw the
election.  -- Rush Limbaugh