[Rushtalk] Those Against The Second Amendment

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Sat Jan 19 03:24:39 MST 2013

    * "We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of
ordinary Americans to legitimately own handguns and rifles ... that
we are unable to think about reality."
    * -- Bill Clinton, USA Today, 11 March 93, pg. 2A
    * "The last time I checked, the Constitution said 'of the people,
by the people and for the people'. That's what the Declaration of
Independence says."
    * -- Reuters News Agency ** Note: actually those words are in
neither of those documents, but part of The Gettysburg Address by
Abraham Lincoln.
    * "We are taking the law and bending it as far as we can to
capture a whole new class of guns [to ban]"
    * -- Jose Cerda, Los Angeles Times, 22 Oct. 1997, Mr. Cerda was
named as a White House Official who specializes in gun control.
    * "Gun registration is not enough."
    * -- Janet Reno, U.S. Attorney General, Associated Press 10 Dec 1993
    * "I want to make it as hard as possible. Gun owners would have
to be evaluated by how they scored on written and firing tests, and
have to pass the tests in order to own a gun. And I would tax the
guns, bullets and the license itself very heavily."
    * -- Jocelyn Elders, U.S. Surgeon General, Mother Jones magazine,
Jan/Feb '94
    * "Armas para que?" ("Guns, for what?")
    * -- Fidel Castro, a response to a Cuban citizens who said the
people might need to keep their guns, after Castro announced strict
gun control in Cuba
    * "I have made it considerably tougher for residents to get
handgun permits."
    * -- Joseph McNamara, Police Chief, San Jose, CA, in his book
Safe and Sane, 1984
    * "The second article of amendment (Second Amendment) to the
Constitution of the United States is repealed."
    * -- U.S. House Joint Resolution 438 introduced 11 March 1992 by
Congressman Owens, D-NY
    * " ... we could tax them [firearms] out of existence."
    * -- Daniel Patrick Moynihan, U.S. Senator, Washington Post, 4 Nov 93
    * "If it were up to me we'd ban them all [firearms]."
    * -- Mel Reynolds, U.S. Congressman, CNN Crossfire, 9 Dec 93
    * "We're going to have to take this one step at a time, and the
first step is necessarily - given the political realities - going to
be very modest. Right now, though, we'd be satisfied not with half a
loaf but with a slice. Our ultimate goal - total control of all guns-
is going to take time ... The final problem is to make the possession
of all handguns and all handgun ammunition - except for the military,
policemen, licensed security guards, licensed sporting clubs and
licensed gun collectors - totally illegal."
    * -- Nelson T. Shields III, Founder of Handgun Control, Inc., New
Yorker Magazine, p. 57-58, 26 Jul 1976
    * "There is no personal right to be armed for private purposes
unrelated to the service in a well regulated militia."
    * -- Sarah Brady, Chairman, Handgun Control, Inc., Richmond
Times-Dispatch, 6 Jun 97, pg. 6
    * "We must reverse this psychology (of needing guns for home
defense). WE can do it by passing a law that says anyone found in
possession a handgun except a legitimate officer of the law goes to
jail-period!"
    * -- Carl Rowan, Washington DC Syndicated Columnist, 1981 article
    * " ... as long as authorities leave this society awash in drugs
and guns, I will protect my family."
    * -- Carl Rowan, 1988 article titled "At Least They're Not
Writing My Obituary"
    * "Men possess handguns in order to compensate for sexual dysfunction."
    * -- Dr. Joyce Brothers, Psychiatrist, TV personality ** her
husband is among NYC elite that has been issued a permit to carry a
concealed handgun.
    * "Those now possessing weapons and ammunition are at once to
turn them over to the local police authority. Firearms and ammunition
found in a Jew's possession will be forfeited to the government
without compensation ... Whoever willfully or negligently violates
the provisions ... will be punished with imprisonment and a fine.
    * -- Nazi Law, Regulations Against Jews' Possession of Weapons,
11 Nov 1938, German Minister of the Interior