[Rushtalk] A "Paulie" Heads-Up

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 22 12:52:58 MST 2013

WND EXCLUSIVE

GOP patriarch rises to challenge establishment

National committeeman demands Romney pals give power back to grassroots

Published: 23 hours ago
author-image
  by <http://www.wnd.com/author/dzahn/>Drew Zahn
<mailto:dzahn at wnd.com>Email | <http://www.wnd.com/author/dzahn/>Archive
<http://www.wnd.com/author/dzahn/feed>
rss feed
<http://www.wnd.com/author/dzahn/feed> Subscribe to feed
Drew Zahn is a former pastor who cut his editing teeth as a member of
the award-winning staff of Leadership, Christianity Today's
professional journal for church leaders. He is the editor of seven
books, including
<http://www.amazon.com/Movie-Based-Illustrations-Preaching-Teaching-1/dp/0310248329?_encoding=UTF8&tag=wnd-20&ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&qid=1324175163&camp=1789&sr=8-1&creative=9325>Movie-Based
Illustrations for Preaching & Teaching, which sparked his ongoing
love affair with film and his weekly WND column, "Popcorn and a
(world)view."<http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/gop-rebel-rises-to-challenge-party-establishment/#>More

    *
<http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/gop-rebel-rises-to-challenge-party-establishment/print/>
    Printer Friendly

    * Text smaller
    * Text bigger
536064_305853139494152_633672838_n

A Virginia Republican is working to take back the GOP from
establishment insiders he says conducted a major "power grab" at the
party's 2012 national convention in Tampa, Fla.

Republican National Committeeman Morton Blackwell is rallying his
colleagues behind a motion to cancel GOP rules put into place by the
Mitt Romney camp in Tampa that some have said were a slap in the face
to Ron Paul supporters, tea partiers and grassroots Republicans alike.

In Tampa, the Convention Rules Committee, influenced by Romney
consultant Ben Ginsberg, shocked the convention by adding to the
party playbook a series of sweeping, power-condensing new rules. One
measure enables the RNC to make decisions without approval of the
full convention and another ensures that a candidate who wins a
statewide caucus or primary controls the state's delegates. The
latter move was interpreted as retaliation against states that
elected Ron Paul-supporting delegates instead of delegates pledged to
the caucus or primary winners.

Zeke Miller of BuzzFeed Politics got national attention for reporting
the change "offers the Republican Establishment a new tool to keep at
bay tea-party initiatives that threaten to embarrass or contradict
party leadership."

RNC Vice Chairman Jim Bopp, in an email to RNC members, called the
revisions the "biggest power grab in the history of the Republican Party."

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin agreed, calling the proposal "a direct
attack on grassroots activists by the GOP establishment."

Cindy Lake, chairman of the Clark County, Nev., Republican Party,
singled out Ginsberg by name in a press release.

"This attempted coup by the consultants and the national party elite
would completely disenfranchise all rank-and-file Republicans," she
said. "The Clark County Republican Party refuses to stand idly by and
allow this Marxist-style power grab to go unnoticed."

Nonetheless, the Ginsberg rule changes were adopted.

Ginsberg told the Convention Rules Committee the changes were
"necessary for the world in which we find ourselves in,"  adding that
he saw it "important for the political survival of the Party in the
electoral context."

Now Blackwell, who also called the rules changes "dangerous" and a
"power grab" at the time, is working to reverse them.

Blackwell filed a motion for the upcoming RNC meeting in Charlotte,
N.C., that would revert the GOP rulebook to what it was before the
Ginsberg controversy.

Blackwell also
<http://www.redstate.com/morton_c_blackwell/2013/01/21/saving-the-national-republican-rules-from-the-ginsberg-blunders-in-tampa/>sent
a letter to his RNC colleagues explaining, "Members of the Standing
Committee [on Rules] generally agreed that it's a good idea to
increase the opportunities for power at the RNC to flow from the bottom up."

He goes on to recap that in Tampa, however, "Ben Ginsberg, a
Convention Rules Committee member from D.C., representing himself as
the spokesman for the Romney campaign, began to propose amendments to
the report from the RNC."

"First, he systematically submitted amendments to reverse the few and
useful changes adopted by the Standing Committee and the full RNC to
open up slightly the flow of power from the bottom up in the RNC.
Then he supported a number of brand new amendments to increase the
centralization of power in the RNC," Blakwell writes.

"You will recall, however, the immense, immediate outrage at the
convention and from the grassroots against the Ginsberg power grabs.
The national convention's consideration of the Convention Rules
Committee report was a uniquely ugly scene," he continues. "Since the
national convention and to this day, there is vigorous condemnation
of our national Party for Ginsberg's power grabs."

Now Blackwell is calling for a vote on his motion to cancel the
Ginsberg rules, to "let everyone know where each of us stands on this matter."

To take effect, Blackwell's motion must be passed by a majority of
the RNC Standing Committee on Rules and by a 3/4 vote of all the
members of the RNC.

"Instead of further centralizing the Republican Party, we should
welcome newcomers and treat them fairly, politely and cordially,"
Blackwell writes. "What good is it to centralize power if doing so
prevents us from recruiting new grassroots activists to our Party and
building an organization which can win future elections?

"I happen to train thousands of conservative newcomers every year for
success in politics," he continues. "I know that, if passed, my
motion to 'de-Ginsberg' our party rules will be greeted
enthusiastically by newcomers we want to join us in our efforts to
defeat the plans President Obama and his leftist allies are wreaking
on our country."