[Rushtalk] Margaret Sanger on Abortion

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 24 03:46:07 MST 2013

RS

FRONT PAGE CONTRIBUTOR

What Did Margaret Sanger Think about Abortion?

By:
<http://www.redstate.com/users/ironchapman/>Jake
(<http://www.redstate.com/ironchapman/>Diary<http://www.redstate.com/2013/01/23/what-did-margaret-sanger-think-about-abortion/#disqus_thread>)
|  January 23rd, 2013 at 02:30 PM  |

RESIZE: AAA

Yesterday, January 22nd, 2013, is the anniversary
of a date that should live in infamy. It was the
40th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision that
legalized abortion throughout the United States.

At the forefront of the pro-abortion movement
stands Planned Parenthood. Margaret Sanger, the
organization’s founder, has a reputation as both
a racist and eugenicist, but her words on
abortion might surprise people. Take a look at some of her writings:

 From
<http://www.bartleby.com/1013/2.html>Chapter II
of her 1920 book Woman and the New Race, she states the following:

So, too, with woman’s struggle for emancipation.
Women in all lands and all ages have
instinctively desired family limitation. Usually
this desire has been laid to economic pressure.
Frequently the pressure has existed, but the
driving force behind woman’s aspiration toward
freedom has lain deeper. It has asserted itself
among the rich and among the poor, among the
intelligent and the unintelligent. It has been
manifested in such horrors as infanticide, child abandonment and abortion.

 From <http://www.bartleby.com/1013/10.html>Chapter X of the same:

While there are cases where even the law
recognizes an abortion as justifiable if
recommended by a physician, I assert that the
hundreds of thousands of abortions performed in
America each year are a disgrace to civilization.

She doesn’t stop there, though.
<http://www.nyu.edu/projects/sanger/webedition/app/documents/show.php?sangerDoc=303355.xml>In
a speech to the Sixth International
Neo-Malthusian and Birth Control Conference, she said the following:

Human society must protect its children–yes, but
prenatal care is most essential! The child-to-be,
as yet not called into being, has rights no less imperative.

In 1930, Pope Pius XII wrote his encyclical
Castii Connubii, which reaffirmed the Roman
Catholic Church’s prohibition of abortion. In
1931, Sanger wrote this
<http://www.nyu.edu/projects/sanger/webedition/app/documents/show.php?sangerDoc=236637.xml>in
her response to the encyclical:

Birth Control Does Not Mean Abortion

“The real alternative to birth control is
abortion,” wrote Dean Inge, in his article
already quoted. It is an alternative that I
cannot too strongly condemn. Although abortion
may be resorted to in order to save the life of
the mother, the practice of it merely for
limitation of offspring is dangerous and vicious.
I bring up the subject here only because some
ill-informed persons have the notion that when we
speak of birth control we include abortion as a
method. We certainly do not. Abortion destroys
the already fertilized ovum or the embryo;
contraception, as I have carefully explained,
prevents the fertilizing of the ovum by keeping
the male cells away. Thus it prevents the beginning of life.

In her 1938 autobiography, Sanger says the following on page 217:

To each group we explained simply what
contraception was; that abortion was the wrong
way­no matter how early it was performed it was
taking life; that contraception was the better
way, the safer way­it took a little time, a
little trouble, but was well worth while in the
long run, because life had not begun.

Now, as I said before, Sanger has a reputation as
a racist and eugenicist, particularly among the
pro-life movement. Such an assessment of her
beliefs is definitely accurate,
and<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEja-1emRic>
this video from the American Life League explains this very well.

Nevertheless, it is important to point out what
she didn’t advocate, and that was abortion.
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/002/139rdqpe.asp?page=3>This
review of four different books on Sanger from
Dave Tell at the Weekly Standard, published at
Roe’s 30th anniversary, offers the best
assessment of her beliefs, with the most important part for this post being:

One final misconception about Mrs. Sanger must
also be addressed, it seems, and in this case the
truth will terribly inconvenience the propaganda
efforts all around. It is not right, pace Planned
Parenthood, that Margaret Sanger declined to
advocate abortion on grounds that it was then a
dangerous and illegal surgery. “There are cases
where even the law recognizes an abortion as
justifiable if recommended by a physician,” she
wrote in 1920, and “we know that abortion, when
performed by skilled hands, under right
conditions, brings almost no danger to the life
of the patient.” On the evidence in “The Woman
Rebel,” the real reason Sanger declined to
advocate abortion, notwithstanding the law’s
flexibility and what she took to be the
procedure’s safety, is that abortion appalled her.

She turned women seeking abortions away from her
clinics: “I do not approve of abortion.” She
called it “sordid,” “abhorrent,” “terrible,”
“barbaric,” a “horror.” She called abortionists
“blood-sucking men with MD after their names who
perform operations for the price of so-and-so.”
She called the results of abortion “an outrageous
slaughter,” “infanticide,” “foeticide,” and “the
killing of babies.” And Margaret Sanger, who knew
a thing or two about contraception, said that
birth control “has nothing to do with abortion,
it has nothing to do with interfering with or
disturbing life after conception has taken
place.” Birth control stands alone: “It is the
first, last, and final step we all are to take to
have real human emancipation.”

Now, I am not trying to make Margaret Sanger out
to be a forgotten saint for the pro-life
movement, and there are many out there who might
disagree with her on even contraception.
Nevertheless, she did not condone abortion, and
it appears she was even revolted by the
procedure. In fact, Planned Parenthood itself did
not offer abortions until the mid-to-late 1960s, once she had died.

So, for all of Margaret Sanger’s many issues and
flaws, even she appears to have had some sort of standards.