[Rushtalk] Smart Meters

Tom Matiska tom.matiska at att.net
Mon Jan 28 06:05:41 MST 2013

Wealth of info in links I posted several posts  ago on the many ways smart meters already on the market allow utilities to control peak use.   The simple use of emerging wireless technology to replace the meter reader is  1990's history.   Smart meters of more recent decades can bill at higher rates during peak use periods, integrate with your smart Honeywell thermostat to let the supplier change settings during high demand periods, or even turn off a wireless relay on the AC in a power emergency.  Smart load centers(ye old circuit breaker box) also now battle peak loads(ie won't let the washer, dryer frig all kick on at same time.)

Utility company control of peak demand is the name of the game.   Not enough new power plants in the works to keep our base from shrinking.   Such technology is on the market and the necessary regulatory change has passed or is in the works in many states.

Read the earlier links, google your own, or don't respond.    Don't blow off facts and argue as if I made up an assertion or myth.

Tom