[Rushtalk] Smart Meters

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at verizon.net
Tue Jan 29 16:51:59 MST 2013

I think you're right.  I just got a report of my electricity usage (comes on
my bill every month), and it shows different billing rates for different
times.  Interesting, not only do "they" know I was running the washing
machine, that smart chip inside told "them" exactly what I was washing.  I
have a full report of how many batches of socks and undies, how many blue
jeans, how often we change the bedding, and towels, well, way too many
towels.  When "they" correlate with the water company reports from the smart
faucets in each bathroom, "they" have decided we may be taking too many
showers.  And I won't even go down the path of the girls' batches of
laundry.

And the dryer.  Yes, the dryer.  Well, when "they" did an analysis of dryer
usage, and lack of iron usage, "they" recommend turning down the dryer
temperature and using the iron more often instead of relying on the drying
cycle to get the wrinkles out.  And "they" are pretty upset that we don't
iron the sheets.

Then the toaster.  I guess it has a smart chip, too.  The report tells me I
would do better to change the settings.  Toasting wheat bread on the bagel
setting is just begging for trouble.

And the blender, holy cow.  Our girls like to make smoothies, and the report
is showing that they should just slightly adjust the ratio of fruit to milk.

The refrigerator is pretty happy, but the report clearly indicates I could
be more efficient about the number of times I open and close the door.  I'll
work on that.

And my wife's hair curler and blow dryer.  Well, the report on that goes on
forever.  "They" have a plethora of recommendations on these, but "they"
will have to deal with my wife on those.  I say "let fools rush in where
even angels fear to tread."

"They" also want us to review and adjust the number of times we open and
close the garage door in one day.  The girls like to use the garage door
because it has the remote/encoded opener, and they don't have to carry (and
lose) a key.  But of course with the smart chip in the garage door opener,
"they" know our secret code and "they" know exactly how often we change it -
and how well we change it.  "They" tell me they are reviewing all of our
in-home security procedures.  My question is 'why can't "they" read the
smart chip in my car, know when I am coming up the driveway, and open the
garage door for me?'

The oven.  My cooking.  "They" are recommending several different cookbooks,
as not only does the smart chip monitor usage, it can tell what I am cooking
and how I do it, and let me tell you, it ain't pretty, and "they" know it.

And our bottled water cooler.  Well, "they" try to remind me that it is far
more cost effective to use the 5-gallon bottles.  I just wish the smart chip
in there would lift that bottle up for me.  It's amazing when you drop a
five gallon bottle how fast water can come out of it before you can pick it
up.  Can the smart chip monitor that?  Can it help me mop up the spilled
water?  Maybe "they" will come over and help me mop it up.