[Rushtalk] Smart Meters

Tom Matiska tom.matiska at att.net
Tue Jan 29 18:35:26 MST 2013

Dunno if you're serious about your peak rates, but if you are much does  your peak rate differ???  The carrot and stick approach re> peak hour rates in use in some areas is on the way to becoming all stick and no carrot.   Connecticut's  "wait until 8" (O'clock) program floated a trial balloon a while back about $1.60 kWh peak rates.    http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/connecticut-power-light-proposes-10-1-ratio-for-peak-power/

If you don't (yet) have a smart meter, intelligent load center, or integrated smart thermostat you can get this phone app with some control devices and do it all from your phone.   This way you can preheat the toilet seat on your $6400 Kohler before you even get in the house. ...not kidding

I've been considering a small load shedding sub panel for my basement for years and Sandy just re-enforced that wisdom.   Folks who thought a big generator was the answer had big problems getting fuel.  I would have the furnace motor, 1st floor lights and TV on primary circuit, and let the  frig, washer, etc take turns using the secondary circuits.   That way  I could use a small generator that doesn't drink 20+ gallons a day and not worry about an overload if several devices came on at once.

Tom