[Rushtalk] Happy Death-by-Government Day!

Tom Matiska tom.matiska at att.net
Wed Jun 5 10:56:55 MDT 2013

My general observation about these types of debates is we tend to get myopic about the U.S. role and forget others had more to do with it than our govt.

Big picture is the war was going on years before LBJ and McNamara
escalated our involvement.  Hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese and
millions of Cambodians continued to die long after Kissinger and Lee
DucTho won the Nobel Prize for Wishful Thinking.

The South
suffered higher civilian casualties because the Soviets and China helped
 Uncle Ho export more war to the south than we took to the North.  The
South suffered another  6 digit  civilian toll after the war.
Cambodia and Laos also. Pol Pot was responsible for a 7 digit death
toll....etc..etc...  but somehow it as always about us.

Tom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War_casualties