[Rushtalk] McCain out of touch with Senate GOP, Cruz says

Carl Spitzer Winblows at lavabit.com
Thu Jun 6 21:43:13 MDT 2013

McCain out of touch with Senate GOP, Cruz says

By United Press International
May 24, 2013
http://www.gopusa.com/news/2013/05/24/mccain-out-of-touch-with-senate-gop-cruz-says/?subscriber=1

Senators who John McCain, R-Ariz., once called "whacko birds" are the
real Republican mainstream, said Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, daring McCain
to prove him wrong.

Cruz, a freshman senator endorsed by the Tea Party movement and the
libertarian Republican Liberty Caucus, said on the Senate floor Thursday
he and fellow deficit-hawk Republicans Rand Paul of Kentucky, Mike Lee
of Utah and Marco Rubio of Florida were not a crackpot fringe for
standing in the way of negotiations with the House to reconcile the two
chambers' competing U.S. budget proposals.

Indeed, they represent the GOP majority philosophy, Cruz said.

Cruz, Paul, Lee, Rubio and other conservative lawmakers with close Tea
Party ties say they adamantly object to the appointment of a
House-Senate conference committee to bridge the vast gap between the
House and Senate budget versions unless the lawmakers are guaranteed
negotiators won't agree to link a budget deal to a debt-limit increase.

If that were to happen, such an agreement would let a debt-ceiling
increase be approved in the Senate with a simple 51-vote majority,
rather than the 60-vote supermajority usually needed for controversial
measures.

McCain, a senator since 1987, called his upstart colleagues' defiance
obstructionist and said their demand for a guarantee showed their
ignorance of how the Senate works.

"It's not the regular order for a number senators -- a small number, a
minority within a minority here -- to say they will not agree to go to
conference," McCain said Thursday.

"We're here to vote, not here to block things," he said. "We're here to
articulate our positions on the issues and do what we can for the good
of the country and the let the process move forward."

He said the budget blockade was the latest example of the small senators
group pursuing a strategy that will "paralyze" the Senate process. He
said it could provoke Democratic leaders to take extreme steps to change
Senate rules to crack down on delaying tactics.

McCain previously criticized Tea Party tactics on other issues,
including efforts to block votes on Cabinet nominations and gun-control
legislation.

Two months ago he told The Huffington Post he considered them "whacko
birds" after they filibustered John O. Brennan as President Barack
Obama's nominee to head the CIA until he guaranteed Washington wouldn't
use aerial drones to kill Americans in the United States.

"I think it can be harmful if there is a belief among the American
people that those people are reflective of the views of the majority of
Republicans. They're not," McCain said in the Post interview, published
March 7.

Cruz said Thursday McCain was "impugning all 45 Republicans in this
body" by suggesting Cruz and his colleagues were a small troublemaking
minority of the GOP for continuing to stand in the way of the
House-Senate conference committee and pressing the debt-ceiling issue.

"There may be more wacko birds in the Senate than is suspected," Cruz
said.

He challenged McCain to test the senatorial waters by seeing how many
Republican senators are willing to sign a statement saying they
supported letting the Senate raise the debt ceiling with a simple
majority.

"I believe he will find that his representation to this body -- that it
is only a minority of Republicans that oppose that -- is not accurate,"
Cruz said.

Cruz challenged McCain, saying if the Arizona Republican can produce a
document showing a majority of the Senate GOP supported the McCain
position, "I will offer here and now to go to a home game of my Houston
Astros wearing an Arizona Diamondbacks hat."