[Rushtalk] "Nightstalker" Dead.........

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 9 23:32:37 MDT 2013

BETWEEN THE LINES

How Ramirez 'earned' Night Stalker moniker

Exclusive: Joseph Farah recalls momentous capture
of vicious serial killer, rapist

Published: 12 hours ago
author-image
  <http://www.wnd.com/author/jfarah/>Joseph Farah
About | <mailto:jfarah at worldnetdaily.com>Email |
<http://www.wnd.com/author/jfarah/?archive=true>Archive
Joseph Farah is founder, editor and CEO of WND
and a nationally syndicated columnist with
<http://www.creators.com>Creators News Service..
He is the author or co-author of 13 books,
including his latest,
<http://superstore.wnd.com/s.nl/c.811217/id.1030/.f>"The
Tea Party Manifesto," and his classic,
"<http://superstore.wnd.com/BOOKS/Taking-America-Back-Autographed-Updated-Cover-Paperback>Taking
America Back," now in its third edition and 14th
printing. Farah is the former editor of the
legendary Sacramento Union and other major-market dailies.
author alerts
  Receive author alerts <http://www.wnd.com/author/jfarah/feed>
rss feed
<http://www.wnd.com/author/jfarah/feed> Subscribe to feed
    *
<http://www.wnd.com/2013/06/how-ramirez-earned-night-stalker-moniker/print/>
    Printer Friendly

    * Text smaller
    * Text bigger
[]

"Night Stalker" Richard Ramirez

One of the most ruthless, vicious serial
rapist-killers in American history died Friday,
reportedly of natural causes, while serving the
last 24 years of his life time on California’s inappropriately named death row.

His name was Richard Ramirez. And there’s a story
behind how he became known as the “Night Stalker.”

The news stories about his death alluded to his
“earning” the moniker. Since I am the guy who
bestowed that title on him, here’s the rest of the story.

Ramirez wasn’t just your run-of-the-mill serial
killer – even by California standards. He
terrorized the entire state by breaking into
homes at night, raping women, boys and
<http://www.wnd.com/2013/06/how-ramirez-earned-night-stalker-moniker/#>girls
and then strangling them, slashing their throats or shooting them.

He would force mothers to watch him sodomize
their sons before they were both murdered. He
would have sex with some of the corpses. He would
spray-paint Satanic symbols on the walls of some of the victims’ homes.

He was ultimately convicted of 13 murders during
a spree of several months, ending Aug. 31, 1985.

How did it end?

The police were able to put together a sketch of
Ramirez based on sightings. It was published the
same day on the front page of the newspaper I
worked for at the time, the Los Angeles Herald
Examiner. Within hours, Ramirez was spotted by
citizens in East L.A. who captured him and beat him until police arrived.

I couldn’t help but feel a little bit of
responsibility for his capture, having made the
decision to put that police sketch on the front
page of the paper that day. In fact, some of
those beating him actually held copies of the
paper in their hands as they held him for police.

Before I dubbed him the “Night Stalker” in a
72-point headline across the front page that
read, “The Night Stalker’s deadly trail,” he was
known by other feeble names, like the “Valley
Intruder.” That didn’t seem appropriate for
someone who murdered in valleys, on hills and
across the state in prolific and gruesome
fashion.
(<http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-76232214/>The
Los Angeles Times can’t even tell the truth about
the naming of a serial killer.)

I actually won an award for that headline from the Hearst Corporation.

Naming serial killers was something of an art
form in California. There were so many. But there
was no one quite like Ramirez.

At his
<http://www.wnd.com/2013/06/how-ramirez-earned-night-stalker-moniker/#>arraignment,
he held up his hand with a pentagram scrawled on it and shouted, “Hail Satan!”

I have to say that covering Ramirez’s bloody
trail actually brought me closer to God.

Ramirez was associated with a Hispanic gang of
Satan worshippers called the Stoners before he
began freelancing. I had a run-in with that gang one very dark night in L.A.

[]

At the time, I was working at night, directing
the newsroom operation. Because I started my
shift later in the day, all of the premium
parking spaces inside the fenced perimeter of the
paper were taken. So I had to improvise by
parking in a lonely, secluded, dark parking lot
across the street. It was completely shrouded by
buildings except for an alleyway entrance.

Normally I would
<http://www.wnd.com/2013/06/how-ramirez-earned-night-stalker-moniker/#>move
my car inside the compound just after dark, after
spaces opened up when the day crew left. But on
more than one occasion, I simply forgot.

I usually wouldn’t leave the paper until about 2
a.m. On one particular occasion, as I entered the
alleyway, I saw a group of somewhere between 50
and 100 gangbangers having a late-night block
party in the parking lot. There were bonfires
burning, broken beer and whiskey bottles
littering the ground and the distinct odor of marijuana burning.

My car was about 100 feet in front of me – the
longest 100 feet I ever traversed in my memory.

As I began to approach the car, the Stoners began
to converge toward me. I had to race them to the
car, unlock the door, get in, start the car and
high-tail it out of that narrow alleyway before I was beaten to death.

[]
There was no other option. On foot, I was a dead man.

Just when it looked like I was going to make it,
I glanced at the little Chevy and realized the
windows had already been smashed on all sides.
That made opening the door a little easier, but
it meant sitting down on shards of broken glass.
That’s what I did. Fortunately the car started
right up and I took off – all the while feeling glass penetrating my derriere.

As I approached the alleyway and escape, I saw in
my rear-view mirror that the entire group of
Stoners was chasing me on foot, hurling bottles,
cursing me and shouting incomprehensible
epithets. Some were no more than 10 feet behind me.

But I made it out – alive. I literally counted my
blessings that night. I thanked God as soon as my
racing heartbeat approached normalcy.

Shortly thereafter, I bought my first handgun.

That was several months before I named Ramirez
the “Night Stalker.” I always wondered if he was in that party.

I guess I’ll never know.

Now he’s dead and, apparently, getting the
unrepentant desires of his heart – eternity in hell.

That’s my Richard Ramirez story.