[Rushtalk] Gov.Christi to appoint replacement for Democrat Sen. Lautenberg,

Carl Spitzer Winblows at lavabit.com
Thu Jun 13 19:46:56 MDT 2013

is Christi an American or a Democrat?

CWSIV

New Jersey Sen. Lautenberg, last surviving WWII vet in the Senate, dies
at 89

By Chad Pergram

Published June 03, 2013

| FoxNews.com

Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., who cast more votes than any other U.S.
senator from New Jersey, died Monday after complications from viral
pneumonia.

Lautenberg died at 4:02 a.m., at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill
Cornell Medical Center. He was 89 years old.

First elected to the Senate in 1982, Lautenberg lived to be the oldest
member of the upper chamber by the end of his tenure and was the last
surviving World War II veteran in the Senate. He initially retired from
the Senate in 2000, but ultimately returned to Capitol Hill two years
later at the age of 78.

Lautenberg was best known for advocating federal restrictions on tobacco
use. Most notably, he authored the landmark 1987 law that banned smoking
on airplanes. And 21 years later, he led the push to close the Senate
"smoking rooms."

He was also a prominent voice for increased gun control even as many
fellow Democrats distanced themselves from the issue. He wrote the 1996
law that prohibits domestic abusers from purchasing firearms, and called
for closing the so-called gun show loophole to strengthen background
checks. In fact, the last votes he cast in the Senate came in April on
various gun control amendments.

President Obama saluted Lautenberg's legacy in a statement Monday.

"Michelle and I were deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Senator
Frank Lautenberg, a proud New Jerseyan who lived America's promise as a
citizen, and fought to keep that promise alive as a senator," Obama
said. "First elected to the Senate in 1982, he improved the lives of
countless Americans with his commitment to our nation's health and
safety, from improving our public transportation to protecting citizens
from gun violence to ensuring that members of our military and their
families get the care they deserve."

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican, will be tasked with
appointing a replacement for Lautenberg, who was not planning to seek
re-election in 2014.

The son of Polish and Russian immigrants, Lautenberg's family moved
frequently throughout his childhood as his parents struggled to find
steady work. Lautenberg was 19 when his father died of cancer, forcing
him to work nights and weekends to help support his family until he
graduated from high school.

Lautenberg then served in the Army Signal Corps in Europe from 1942 to
1946. Upon his return from the war, he enrolled in Columbia University
under the G.I. Bill and earned an economics degree.

In 1952, Lautenberg and two childhood friends founded Automatic Data
Processing, the country's first payroll services company. Their start-up
ultimately became a multinational corporation and turned the three into
millionaires. He served as chairman and CEO until he launched his
political career 30 years later.

In 1982, longtime Sen. Harrison Williams, D-N.J., resigned after being
convicted of bribery from the Abscam scandal. FBI agents had posed as
sheiks in a sting operation bribing local, state and federal officials
-- resulting in the convictions of seven members of Congress, including
Williams.

Lautenberg edged out eight other candidates in the Democratic primary to
replace him. He spent $4 million of his own money in the general
election against the heavily favored GOP Rep. Millicent Fenwick and won
51 percent of the vote.

Lautenberg announced his retirement in 2000 after three terms. But two
years later, he changed course after New Jersey Democrats convinced him
-- just five weeks before the election -- to run again two years later
after the incumbent Sen. Robert G. Torricelli, D-N.J., decided not to
run amid a campaign finance scandal. "Age doesn't matter" became
Lautenberg's mantra.

"Almost as soon as I announced my retirement, I had pangs of regret,"
Lautenberg told the New York Times. "There's an old Irish saying that
describes my philosophy well: 'To rest is to rot.'"

Lautenberg coasted to victory for a fourth Senate term. Upon his return
to Congress, however, Democrats declined to restore his seniority
accumulated from his previous 18 years in the Senate. Nonetheless, he
picked up where he left off on his signature issues.

In the aftermath of the 2011 Tucson shootings that nearly killed Rep.
Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., Lautenberg and fellow New Jersey Democratic
Sen. Bob Menendez introduced legislation to close background check
loopholes and ban the sale of high-capacity magazines.

"The only reason to have 33 bullets loaded in a handgun is to kill a lot
of people very quickly," Lautenberg said. "These high-capacity clips
simply should not be on the market."

The New Jersey Democrat also introduced a bill to ban online sales of
ammunition in light of the 2012 Colorado theater shootings that killed
12 and injured 58 people. But the measure went nowhere especially given
the election-year environment.

Lautenberg was a big advocate of AMTRAK as well. The Secaucus Junction
Station, where AMTRAK trains bound for New York pass, is named after the
late senator.

Lautenberg married his first wife, Lois, in 1956, fathering four
children. They ultimately divorced after 31 years of marriage.

In 2004, at age 81, he married his companion Bonnie Englebardt after 16
years of dating. "It takes a long time for us politicians to make up our
minds," Lautenberg quipped.

During his fifth term six years later, Lautenberg announced that he had
been diagnosed with a treatable form of stomach cancer. He continued to
work in the Senate between chemotherapy treatments. Four months later,
he declared that he was cancer-free.

He announced his retirement from the Senate in February. At the time, he
joked with reporters that he wanted to run for vice president in 2016.

He is survived by his wife, six children and 13 grandchildren.

Read
more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/03/nj-sen-lautenberg-dies/print#ixzz2VGBtzoH9

--
ObombA did not win erection, Trotskite RINO Mitt Romney threw the
election.  -- Rush Limbaugh