[Rushtalk] Happy Death-by-Government Day!

Paf Dvorak notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info
Mon Jun 17 11:04:57 MDT 2013

At 08:15 PM 6/16/2013 -0700, Tom Matiska wrote:

>--- On Sun, 6/16/13, Paf Dvorak <notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info> wrote:
>
>That's all very interesting and informative, but the fact remains,
>there were more slaves in the north than in the south.
>
>Have any reality based arguments?

One of us has denied reality, Tom. No mention I see on your "token
black" population quip from two emails back.
The fact is, the north made more use of slave labor than did the
south. Why didn't the "more civilized" north just end slavery and not
have to go to war against the slave owners?

>   ......but it doesn't change the reasons Lincoln declared war.
>

>You mean Davis???  Lincoln didn't fire on Sumter.

I suppose you would also argue that the Branch Davidians started the
crap at Waco, or if a group of thugs surrounded you home, with the
intent to rape your womenfolk and livestock, and you fired upon them,
it was you who started the fight.

Southern leaders of the Civil War period placed the blame for the
outbreak of fighting squarely on Lincoln. They accused the President
of acting aggressively towards the South and of deliberately
provoking war in order to overthrow the Confederacy. For its part,
the Confederacy sought a peaceable accommodation of its legitimate
claims to independence, and resorted to measures of self-defence only
when threatened by Lincoln's coercive policy. Thus, Confederate vice
president, Alexander H. Stephens, claimed that the war was
"inaugurated by Mr. Lincoln." Stephens readily acknowledged that
General Beauregard's troops fired the "first gun." But, he argued,
the larger truth is that "in personal or national conflicts, it is
not he who strikes the first blow, or fires the first gun that
inaugurates or begins the conflict." Rather, the true aggressor is
"the first who renders force necessary."

Stephens identified the beginning of the war as Lincoln's order
sending a "hostile fleet, styled the 'Relief Squadron'," to reinforce
Fort Sumter. "The war was then and there inaugurated and begun by the
authorities at Washington. General Beauregard did not open fire upon
Fort Sumter until this fleet was, to his knowledge, very near the
harbor of Charleston, and until he had inquired of Major Anderson . .
. whether he would engage to take no part in the expected blow, then
coming down upon him from the approaching fleet . . . When Major
Anderson . . .would make no such promise, it became necessary for
General Beauregard to strike the first blow, as he did; otherwise the
forces under his command might have been exposed to two fires at the
same time-- one in front, and the other in the rear." The use of
force by the Confederacy , therefore, was in "self-defence," rendered
necessary by the actions of the other side.

Jefferson Davis, who, like Stephens, wrote his account after the
Civil War, took a similar position. Fort Sumter was rightfully South
Carolina's property after secession, and the Confederate government
had shown great "forbearance" in trying to reach an equitable
settlement with the federal government. But the Lincoln
administration destroyed these efforts by sending "a hostile fleet"
to Sumter. "The attempt to represent us as the aggressors," Davis
argued, "is as unfounded as the complaint made by the wolf against
the lamb in the familiar fable. He who makes the assault is not
necessarily he that strikes the first blow or fires the first gun."

 From Davis's point of view, to permit the strengthening of Sumter,
even if done in a peaceable manner, was unacceptable. It meant the
continued presence of a hostile threat to Charleston. Further,
although the ostensible purpose of the expedition was to resupply,
not reinforce the fort, the Confederacy had no guarantee that Lincoln
would abide by his word. And even if he restricted his actions to
resupply in this case, what was to prevent him from attempting to
reinforce the fort in the future? Thus, the attack on Sumter was a
measure of "defense." To have acquiesced in the fort's relief, even
at the risk of firing the first shot, "would have been as unwise as
it would be to hesitate to strike down the arm of the assailant, who
levels a deadly weapon at one's breast, until he has actually fired."

In the twentieth century, this critical view of Lincoln's actions
gained a wide audience through the writings of Charles W. Ramsdell
and others. According to Ramsdell, the situation at Sumter presented
Lincoln with a series of dilemmas. If he took action to maintain the
fort, he would lose the border South and a large segment of northern
opinion which wanted to conciliate the South. If he abandoned the
fort, he jeopardized the Union by legitimizing the Confederacy.
Lincoln also hazarded losing the support of a substantial portion of
his own Republican Party, and risked appearing a weak and ineffective leader.

Lincoln could escape these predicaments, however, if he could induce
southerners to attack Sumter, "to assume the aggressive and thus put
themselves in the wrong in the eyes of the North and of the world."
By sending a relief expedition, ostensibly to provide bread to a
hungry garrison, Lincoln turned the tables on the Confederates,
forcing them to choose whether to permit the fort to be strengthened,
or to act as the aggressor. By this "astute strategy," Lincoln
maneuvered the South into firing the first shot.

Bibliography: Stephens, Constitutional View, 2: 35-41; Davis, Rise
and Fall, 1: 289-95; Ramsdell, "Lincoln and Fort Sumter,"pp. 259-88.

>Tom

Paf Dvorak

<http://thatswaytoomuch.info/>notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info