[Rushtalk] Fwd: What Will the [Un]Affordable Care Act Look Like in a Year?

Steven Laib stevenlaib at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 17 19:16:29 MDT 2013

I thought that people might find this guy's opinion of interest.

SDL

June 17th, 2013 For Immediate Release!

******What Will the [Un]Affordable Care Act Look Like in a Year?******

*Contributor & author:* Dr. Keith Smith, medical director, CEO, managing
surgical center partner. Member of the AAPS http://www.aapsonline.org/
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=39546710&msgid=861178&act=BLBI&c=900114&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aapsonline.org%2F>/
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=39546710&msgid=861178&act=BLBI&c=900114&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aapsonline.org%2F>.
(see Dr. Smith's bio at the bottom of this release)

**Interview - Contact Dr. Smith directly at KSmith at surgerycenterok.com
<mailto:KSmith at surgerycenterok.com> or 405-627-0274 *(reporters and
journalists welcome!)*

*For permission to publish* this article (word count: 618), contact
AngelPublicity at aol.com <mailto:AngelPublicity at aol.com> for a prompt
response

*Preview:* The UCA (Unaffordable Care Act) will do precisely what it was
intended to do: inject economic chaos into the medical marketplace,
driving prices for insurance and healthcare through the roof, so that
people will beg for the sequel—single payer. That means everybody is
forced into one big government plan. There is no doubt in my mind that
this was the intention of the authors of this bill, several of whom were
the corporate players who would benefit from this. While it is
worthwhile to understand various provisions of UCA, detailing its
shortcomings without assigning malevolent intent to its authors is
naive, I think. This legislation was meant to “crash” the system. That
is its purpose. Unaffordable care and insurance are its goals. This is a
medical economic false flag from which only Uncle Sam can rescue us.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

What Will the [Un]Affordable Care Act Look Like in a Year?

Author/Contributor: G. Keith Smith, M.D.
http://www.aapsonline.org/index.php/article/central_planners_miscalculations_have_consequences/
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=39546710&msgid=861178&act=BLBI&c=900114&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aapsonline.org%2Findex.php%2Farticle%2Fcentral_planners_miscalculations_have_consequences%2F>

Many are speculating about the outcome of what I call UCA for the
[Un]Affordable Care Act, also known as ObamaCare. I think there are two
basic scenarios.

First is that UCA will do precisely what it was intended to do: inject
economic chaos into the medical marketplace, driving prices for
insurance and healthcare through the roof, so that people will beg for
the sequel—single payer. That means everybody is forced into one big
government plan. There is no doubt in my mind that this was the
intention of the authors of this bill, several of whom were the
corporate players who would benefit from this. While it is worthwhile to
understand various provisions of UCA, detailing its shortcomings without
assigning malevolent intent to its authors is naive, I think. This
legislation was meant to “crash” the system. That is its purpose.
Unaffordable care and insurance are its goals. This is a medical
economic false flag from which only Uncle Sam can rescue us.

The second possibility is that, as prices for insurance skyrocket,
people will act and adapt. One course will be for individuals and
families to increase their deductible exposure if they have insurance in
an attempt to keep their premiums in check.  Deductibles of $5,000 or
$10,000 will be commonplace. Others will drop insurance altogether,
figuring that at $2,500/month (typical premium payments in high-priced
states like Romney’s Massachusetts), they could bank this money and in
one year have a $30,000 cushion for whatever health expenses might come
along.

Both the newly uninsured and the new high-deductible players will be
doing something the medical marketplace is increasingly gearing up for:
spending their own money. People spending their own money tend to ask
the same question before buying:” How much is it?” Those physicians and
facilities not willing to reveal their prices upfront will lose these
patients to those who are price-transparent. Those who are
price-transparent will compete with each other for these patients. This
new and vibrant medical marketplace will cause the price of medical care
to plummet. The price disparities between the transparent doctors and
facilities and the others will become even starker. This medical price
deflation will slow if not utterly destroy the push for single payer as
the UCA price crisis could paradoxically be derailed by this market
competition. After all, low cost, high quality means no crisis. This is
why cost was never addressed in the original UCA debates, only “coverage.”

Anything that slows the implementation of UCA will increase the
likelihood that scenario #2 takes place, as more time will be available
for the development of a vibrant market. Refusing to expand Medicaid is
one critical part of the pushback. Various lawsuits could also help.

One of the most interesting slowing (if not derailing) strategies I have
heard about comes from Ohio, where two legislators have figured out a
simple way to capitalize on the fact that the states, not the federal
government, retain the power to regulate insurance companies in their
state. Very simply, any insurance company that accepts an UCA insurance
subsidy would be prohibited from writing any new policies in that state
until that subsidy was returned to Washington.

I actually think that scenario #2 is more likely than single-payer
scenario #1. One of the reasons I am optimistic is that the track record
of the government is so bad in all areas that it might not even get its
false flag right. For all the attempts to control healthcare from D.C.,
the unintended consequence may be the creation of a competitive marketplace.

UCA may very well ration and kill before it fades away, but I think the
seeds of its own death are within the bill itself.

###

http://www.aapsonline.org/
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=39546710&msgid=861178&act=BLBI&c=900114&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aapsonline.org%2F>

*Dr. G. Keith Smith* is a board certified anesthesiologist in private
practice since 1990. In 1997, he co-founded The Surgery Center of
Oklahoma, an outpatient surgery center in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, owned
by 40 of the top physicians and surgeons in central Oklahoma. Dr. Smith
serves as the medical director, CEO and managing partner while
maintaining an active anesthesia practice.

In 2009, Dr. Smith launched a website displaying all-inclusive pricing
for various surgical procedures, a move that has gained him and the
facility, national and even international attention. Many Canadians and
uninsured Americans have been treated at his facility, taking advantage
of the low and transparent pricing available.

Operation of this free market medical practice, arguably the only one of
its kind in the U.S., has gained the endorsement of policymakers and
legislators nationally. More and more self-funded insurance plans are
taking advantage of Dr. Smith’s pricing model, resulting in significant
savings to their employee health plans. His hope is for as many
facilities as possible to adopt a transparent pricing model, a move he
believes will lower costs for all and improve quality of care.

Dr. Smith resides in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Contact:
KSmith at surgerycenterok.com, 405-627-0274

_Additional links_:

Oklahoma Doctors vs. Obamacare:
http://reason.com/reasontv/2012/11/15/the-obamacare-revolt-oklahoma-doctors-fi
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=39546710&msgid=861178&act=BLBI&c=900114&destination=http%3A%2F%2Freason.com%2Freasontv%2F2012%2F11%2F15%2Fthe-obamacare-revolt-oklahoma-doctors-fi>

AAPS lawsuit covered on national TV with Judge Andrew Napolitano and
Rand Paul: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQcFk4ygC_A
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=39546710&msgid=861178&act=BLBI&c=900114&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOQcFk4ygC_A>

Will There Be Any Physicians Left To Implement ObamaCare?
http://www.aapsonline.org/index.php/article/central_planners_miscalculations_have_consequences/
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=39546710&msgid=861178&act=BLBI&c=900114&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aapsonline.org%2Findex.php%2Farticle%2Fcentral_planners_miscalculations_have_consequences%2F>

This message was sent to slaib at intellectualconservative.com from:

Association of American Physicians and Surgeons | 1601 N. Tucson Blvd.
#9 | Tucson, AZ 85716

Unsubscribe
<http://app.icontact.com/icp/mmail-mprofile.pl?r=39546710&l=12381&s=BLBI&m=861178&c=900114>
<http://app.icontact.com/icp/core/message/forward?m=861178&s=39546710&c=BLBI&cid=900114>