[Rushtalk] Immigration Reform Border Deal Reached

Paf Dvorak notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info
Thu Jun 20 11:53:26 MDT 2013

Immigration Reform Border Deal Reached

Share on Google+

WASHINGTON -- A deal will be announced on Thursday for a border
security amendment that would up the cost and requirements for
enforcement of immigration law in the "gang of eight" immigration
reform bill, aides said. The agreement gives a boost to an effort led
by Sens. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) and John Hoeven (R-N.D.) to win over
more Republicans.

The bill mandates that significant increases to border requirements
be met before undocumented immigrants can move from provisional
status to legal permanent residency. Given those increases, it's
likely to be expensive: aides said they expect a cost of $30 billion
for 40,000 border agents, rather than the 21,000 agents in the
original bill. The deal would also require 700 miles of fencing and
more funding for aerial drones to watch the U.S.-Mexico border.

Gang of eight senators and the amendment's authors hope the measure
will help win over skeptical Republican senators so the bill passes
with significant margins, giving it more momentum when it goes to the House.

"For people who are concerned about border security, once they see
what's in this bill, it's almost overkill," Corker said on MSNBC's
"The Daily Rundown" Thursday morning, before the deal was announced.

Concerns about the cost of additional border security requirements
were assuaged a bit after the Congressional Budget Office's
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/18/cbo-immigration-bill_n_3456233.html>estimate
earlier this week that the bill as written would cost about $22
billion to implement, meaning additional border agents alone would
more than double the cost. But the CBO also predicted large economic
gains for the bill, with a $197 billion decrease in the deficit over
the next decade and a $700 billion decrease in the 10 years after.

The Senate
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/19/immigration-bill-border_n_3467641.html>already
voted down amendments to add border security requirements to the bill
from Sens. John Thune (R-S.D.), Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Rand Paul
(R-Ky.), and is expected to defeat another from Sen. John Cornyn
(R-Texas) when it comes for a vote.

Some GOP members, including Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.). have said they
would be more likely to vote for immigration reform if its border
security requirements were strengthened. Kirk raised eyebrows last
week when he voted twice against moving forward on the bill, joining
immigration hardliners.

"The decision is should the border security amendment pass, I will be
able to support the final legislation because then I will be able to
assure the people of Illinois that the border is well covered with
21,000 border agents added, one every thousand feet, I think we got
the border covered," Kirk
<http://voices.suntimes.com/early-and-often/sweet/sen-mark-kirk-poised-to-vote-yes-on-immigration-bill-with-tougher-border-security-deal/>told
the Chicago Sun-Times' Lynn Sweet on Thursday.

Cornyn said on the Senate floor that he was open to the Corker-Hoeven
amendment for increasing border security requirements, but first
wanted to see the details.

In the House, it could be another story. Although Corker and others
said they hope the strong border protections in the amendment will
help with House GOP concerns, it's possible the bill won't come up
for a vote in the lower chamber at all.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio)
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/18/gang-of-eight-john-boehner_n_3460138.html>said
on Tuesday that he would not take up the bill unless a majority of
House Republicans supported it.

"[A]ny immigration reform bill that is going to go into law ought to
have a majority of both parties' support if we're really serious
about making that happen," Boehner told reporters after a meeting
with his conference. "And so I don't see any way of bringing an
immigration bill to the floor that doesn't have a majority support of
Republicans."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/20/immigration-border-deal_n_3472143.html?utm_hp_ref=daily-brief?utm_source=DailyBrief&utm_campaign=062013&utm_medium=email&utm_content=NewsEntry

Paf Dvorak

<http://thatswaytoomuch.info/>notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info