[Rushtalk] Florida: Black Woman Gets 20 Years For Firing Warning Shot – White Man Kills And Goes Free

Carl Spitzer Winblows at lavabit.com
Thu Jun 27 19:20:05 MDT 2013

Florida: Black Woman Gets 20 Years For Firing Warning Shot – White Man
Kills And Goes Free

June 12, 2013 | Filed under: Headliner,News,Racial Issues,The
Courts,Women's Issues | Posted by: Leslie Salzillo

Stand Your Ground?

In light of the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case, let’s take a look
at how the Stand Your Ground law has been working for Florida these
days:

If you’re an older white man and you catch your wife cheating on you
with another man, you get to kill him, then go free.

If you’re a black woman and you fire a warning shot to scare off a
physically abusive husband who’s aggressively coming at you, after
saying, “If I can’t have you, no one will,” then you get to go to jail
for twenty years.

It’s fair to say, the law is not working.

This past March, Ralph Wald, 70, got up in the middle of the night, saw
his wife Johanna Lynn Flores, 41, on the couch, in the arms of his
neighbor, Walter Conley, 32. Wald grabbed his gun and shot Conley in the
back, three times, killing him. Ward later claimed he thought Conley, a
known lover of his wife’s, was raping her. He used the the Stand Your
Ground law to bypass justice. On May 30, Ralph Wald walked out of court
a free man.

It would seem nothing good could come out of the above case, but
something did. The Ward case brought renewed attention to one of most
racist out-of-judicial-whack-job cases in Florida courts.

Three years ago after a 31-year old mother of three, Marissa Alexander,
acted in self-defense, killing and injuring no one, she received a
20-year conviction. Within 12 minutes, the jury found her guilty of
aggravated assault, even though her estranged abusive husband admitted
in his deposition, she had every right to do what she did.

The Miami Herald reported: The “victim,” in this twisted tale of Florida
justice, was Rico Gray, a 245-pound Jacksonville truck driver with a
proclivity for domestic violence.The “criminal,” the woman sentenced to
20 years of hard time on May 11, was his wife, Marissa Alexander, five
feet, two inches tall and slight enough, as Gray mentioned in his
pre-trial deposition, that on two occasions he tossed her from their
house without much physical exertion. “She’s a little person so it
doesn’t take much for me to pick her up and tote her out my front
door . . . You know, I pretty much picked her up and throwed her out.”

“I honestly think she just didn’t want me to put my hands on her anymore
so she did what she feel like she have to do to make sure she wouldn’t
get hurt, you know. You know, she did what she had to do.”

He said, “The gun was never actually pointed at me. When she raised the
gun down and raised it up, you know, the gun was never pointed at me.
The fact is, you know . . . she never been violent toward me. I was
always the one starting it. If she was violent toward me, it was because
she was trying to get me up off her or stop me from doing.” Gray’s
deposition might have read like a confession of a husband charged with
domestic violence, but it was Marissa Alexander who was convicted in
April 2010, after a Duval circuit judge rejected her Stand Your Ground
defense. The judge decided that Alexander could have fled instead of
running into the garage and fetching the pistol from her car. “This is
inconsistent with a person in genuine fear of his or her life,” the
judge ruled — illustrating, if nothing else, that the effectiveness of
the controversial self-defense statute varies wildly from one Florida
circuit to the next.

NAACP, Women’s Groups, and Anti-Domestic Violence Organizations all
voiced objections after the verdict, apparently and sadly, to no avail.
There was a petition but it’s been closed. Hopefully, it will be
reopened or a new petition/protest will be created.

It’s as if Marissa Alexander’s story came right out of, To Kill A
Mockingbird/The Help. Whenever I write a story and get that sick feeling
in the pit of my stomach – the one that  makes it emotionally painful to
write, I know it’s something I need to finish and get out to the public.
Awareness often must come first – before change can occur.

Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

--
ObombA did not win erection, Trotskite RINO Mitt Romney threw the
election.  -- Rush Limbaugh