[Rushtalk] "Scary Obituary"

John Nebel john.nebel at csdco.com
Wed Mar 13 10:52:00 MDT 2013

Plato's "The Republic" is a good source on Athenian thinking, however,
the Athenian system was a directly participatory democracy of mostly
landowners or those who fought to defend the city.  The Greek title of
the book is Πολιτεια which refers to a political entity, a polis such as
Athens, not a republic in the later sense.  The misnomer has stuck.

Plato did reason in around 400BC that a democracy degenerates into a
tyranny as part of a cycle.

The early Roman system was republican, Polybius wrote in around 170BC
that it was the only stable form of government, he had studied Plato and
knew the latter's conclusions.

If anything, our Republic followed the Roman model.

Judging from the Wikipedia article about him, Tytler knew his classics
and would not have referred to ancient Athens as a republic.

John