[Rushtalk] "White Privilege"?

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 14 11:27:47 MDT 2013

    * <http://MinuteMenNews.com/category/newspolitics/>News & Politics
    *
<http://MinuteMenNews.com/category/cultureentertainment/>Culture
& Entertainment
    * <http://MinuteMenNews.com/category/faithfamily/>Faith & Family
    * <http://MinuteMenNews.com/category/oddsends/>Odds & Ends
    * <http://MinuteMenNews.com/about-us/>About Us

Government Agency Asks Volunteers to Wear
Wristbands To Remind Them Of White Privilege

14 March 2013 /
<http://minutemennews.com/2013/03/government-agency-asks-volunteers-to-wear-wristbands-to-remind-them-of-white-privilege/#disqus_thread>9
comments

images-3

P. D. James said: “I believe that political
correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism,
and it sends shivers down the spine of my
generation who went to war against fascism.” Of
all the things in this world that annoy me­and
there are many­political correctness ranks quite
near the top. Political correctness falsely
dictates what can and cannot be said; it falsely
dictates who is in a position of weakness and who
is not; and it demands that everyone play by
rules that are as strange as they are convoluted.

According to cnsnews.com:

“The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
(DPI) wants its white VISTA volunteers who work
with low-income, racially diverse public schools
to examine the “privilege” their Caucasian race confers on them.”

Now, on its face­though slightly comical­it makes
sense to understand where you come from, versus
where others come from. To have a fully rounded
world view, we must understand our differences.
Sounds reasonable enough. Well, that’s only the beginning.

cnsnews.com also notes that the DPI website encourages white people to:

“Wear a white
<http://minutemennews.com/2013/03/government-agency-asks-volunteers-to-wear-wristbands-to-remind-them-of-white-privilege/#>wristband
as a reminder about your privilege, and as a
personal commitment to explain why you wear the
wristband
Set aside sections of the day to
critically examine how privilege is working
Find
a person of color who is willing to hold you
accountable for addressing privilege”

What­if I may ask without being politically
incorrect–does any of this have to do with
volunteer work in public schools? Sure, the
schools are apparently racially diverse; but what
does constantly reminding white people of their “privilege” do to help?

Read
More:
<http://lastresistance.com/1634/government-agency-asks-volunteers-to-wear-wristbands-to-remind-them-of-white-privilege/>http://lastresistance.com/