[Rushtalk] From Chearleader to Enemy of the State for telling the truth about our Foreign policy

Carl Spitzer Winblows at lavabit.com
Thu Mar 14 20:51:22 MDT 2013

http://poorrichards-blog.blogspot.com/2013/02/from-cheerleader-to-enemy-of-state.html

Monday, February 18, 2013

>From Cheerleader to Enemy of the State

Dissident Voice: a radical newsletter in the struggle for peace and
social justice

by William T. Hathaway / February 18th, 2013   The long, flouncy curls
from Judy Davis’s cheerleader days are gone. Her straight blonde hair is
now cut short. Large blue eyes stand out in a face pale without makeup.
Her soft Southern drawl has an undertone of determination. “It’s taken
me awhile, but now I’m glad to be considered an “unsuitable influence”.
That was how the school board justified my firing. That and “deviating
from the curriculum. It’s like they were implying I was a deviant. And
according to their norms, I am.”
The twenty-nine-year-old was fired for teaching her high school students
how US foreign policy has provoked terrorism. This struggle with her
school board turned her from a Republican into a revolutionary for
peace.

        I taught my tenth grade American history class about what the
        USA has done for decades in the countries in which we now have
        terrorism. We work with the local oligarchs there to keep the
        country under control for our economic advantage. We support
        dictators and also the kind of managed democracy we have in the
        USA, where the only political parties that have a chance are
        those aligned with business and the private ownership of
        resources. People in those countries are tired of being kept at
        the bottom. They’re tired of CIA coups and assassinations of
        progressive leaders. So now they’re defending themselves the
        only way they can. And they’re getting pretty good at it.

        This was a lesson for my class in history but also in cause and
        effect, as I explained what has provoked so many people to such
        anger at the USA. But the effect on me was that I got fired and
        now apparently blacklisted.

        One of the students had an uncle stationed in Iraq, and she
        reacted as if I had insulted him. She took it as an attack on
        her family.

        I reminded her that I wasn’t criticizing our soldiers but the
        government’s reasons for sending them there. I wanted very much
        for her uncle to return safely home. But she insisted I had no
        business saying any of that.

        That led to a mini-lesson on freedom of speech in which the
        whole class took part. It was one of the liveliest but also most
        emotionally charged discussions we’d had. Several students were
        convinced what I had said were lies, and freedom of speech
        doesn’t include the right to lie. They denied the USA had harmed
        these countries. They insisted the terrorists are maniacs who
        hate us for our freedom, hate us because we’re Christian. We
        have to stop them before they kill us.

        While we were talking, I looked in the corner at the American
        flag with its red for the blood of our brave soldiers. Every
        morning the students put their hands over their hearts and
        pledge allegiance to that flag in a ritual designed to evoke
        tender feelings of identification with our country. I saw the
        portraits of the Founding Fathers on the walls, all looking so
        wise and kind, just the father every child would like to have. I
        thought about all the patriotic civics classes that teach us how
        great America is but leave out much of our history, particularly
        foreign policy.
        I realized these kids — all of us — are being indoctrinated, not
        just by the schools but also by the press and entertainment.
        Rather than thinking critically, we’re encouraged to react
        emotionally. One of the media’s purposes is to keep our emotions
        stirred up so we don’t think too much.

        Several students took my side, but for some of them that was
        because I was the teacher, the authority figure. But others had
        really thought about the issue and added ideas of their own that
        had never occurred to me. One African-American girl made
        brilliant connections between the kind of invisible colonialism
        the USA tries to enforce on other countries and its domestic
        colonization of poor minority groups here.

        The discussion was an intense learning experience for us all.
        Its goal wasn’t to try to change opinions but to clarify what we
        really believe and help us articulate that. We all benefited
        from it.

        Next day the principal called me in because of student
        complaints. My explanations didn’t convince her, but she
        indicated if I apologized to the class and never did anything
        like this again, she could let the incident slide.

        When I refused, she said she’d have to bring the matter before
        the school board. The board — made up of business leaders, a
        minister, and a retired educator — interviewed me and issued a
        report saying my ‘inappropriate behavior and recalcitrant
        defense of it’ left them no choice but to dismiss me.

        Previous to this, my professional evaluations had always been
        excellent. Since the firing, I’ve applied for other jobs in the
        state and haven’t got one interview. And there’s a shortage of
        teachers in the state.

Judy and I were talking in the cramped living-dining-room-kitchen of the
rental trailer she had to move into after being fired. The air
conditioner was broken, and the room was hot and humid. I was grateful
for the iced tea with a sprig of mint.
She showed me photos of her as a high school and college cheerleader,
full of pep and team spirit. Now she was embarrassed by them.

        I can look back and see how I was serving a ritual designed to
        make young people identify with their school and its team,
        cheering it on to victory over the other team. School sports are
        sort of trainer wheels to prepare us for military patriotism. We
        cheer our athletes, then we cheer our troops. Our group is
        naturally the special good one who deserves to win. It’s
        interesting that George W. Bush was a cheerleader.

        But at the time I got fired, I hadn’t thought of any of that. I
        was just examining the history of US involvement in the Mideast.

        I wasn’t radical. My parents voted Republican, and I had
        followed their lead. But those days are over.

        The whole incident made it clear to me how much thought control
        goes on in our society, how mentally manipulating the media and
        the educational institutions are.

        After being fired I had lots of free time, so I read books by
        Naomi Klein, William Blum, and Howard Zinn. I learned more about
        how the power holders use patriotism to quash dissent and make
        the people afraid of outside enemies. I learned how the global
        rich act in their own interests regardless of nationality, and
        how this keeps the majority of the world in poverty. We’re not
        going to have peace until we stop this.

        Now I’m a waitress in a chain restaurant. That’s been a good
        lesson in capitalism. I’m making a lot less money, but the
        government still takes a hefty chunk of it to kill people they
        think are a threat to them.

When I asked Judy what she was doing to stop that, she gestured
self-mockingly at her petite form and said, “Believe it or not, this
person, all 105 pounds of me, has become an enemy of the state. I’m
actively working to bring it down, particularly the patriarchal,
capitalist form that we live under.”
“That’s a big assignment,” I said. “How do you think we can build
something different?”

        Well, we first have to realize the men in charge aren’t going to
        let us build anything really different,” she replied. “They’ll
        do everything they can, no matter how vicious, to hold on to
        power. And they’ve got too many on their side now.

        I think our job is to clear the ground so something new can be
        built. We have to weaken this monolith so it will eventually
        fall, undermine it, chip away at it however we can. That’s
        probably going to be a lifetime assignment for us. The
        generations who come after us can decide what to build in its
        place. That’s their job, and it’s presumptuous of us to try to
        do that for them.
        Planning a new society at this point seems to me to be just
        daydreaming, spinning fantasies. First we have to break this
        system’s power. Otherwise our descendants will still be living
        under it.

I objected that this sounds pessimistic, but she didn’t agree.
“I’d call it realistic,” she countered.

        It’s clear by now that this system is not going to allow basic
        changes. Only superficial reforms come out of congress, and
        they’re often reversed later on.

        Both major parties are tied to the business establishment, which
        wields the real power. The Democrats tolerate an occasional
        eccentric like Dennis Kucinich to create an impression of
        progress, but they don’t have a chance of achieving power. The
        establishment uses them to channel public discontent into
        dead-end streets, to convince people if they wait another four
        years, this system could change. But it never does. Liberalism’s
        purpose is to maintain the power structure by stringing people’s
        hopes along to the next meaningless election.

        It’s so much more comforting to believe things will improve
        someday and the system is mostly fair, just has a few problems.
        And from the top half of society it looks that way. But from the
        bottom half, especially overseas, it looks quite different. And
        that’s where the changes are going to come from, not from the
        liberals.

“What do you see happening?” I asked her.

        Guerrilla warfare will gradually defeat the empire overseas,
        prevent it from expanding. So it’ll turn inward and start
        squeezing its own people more. Since it’s inherently unjust,
        that’s the only way it can maintain itself. When we revolt
        against that, it’ll turn fascist. In a couple of generations
        we’ll overthrow the fascism. And then we’ll build … who knows?
        That’s a long ways away, and we have a lot to do until then.

“That seems depressing,” I said.

        No! What we have now is depressing. Overthrowing it will be a
        great adventure. Resistance is energizing. That’s what
        liberation is about.

“What would you suggest doing?” I asked.

        Direct action. There are all sorts of nonviolent ways to
        undermine power. Depriving the corporations and their government
        of money is a good start. This can be done by work sabotage, by
        tax evasion, by refusing to buy things. Consumer strikes are
        particularly important for women because the media are
        continually screaming at you to get new stuff. That’s how you’re
        supposed to get rid of the feelings of inadequacy that
        patriarchy has instilled in you — grab the latest clothes,
        hairstyles, makeup, furnishings so you can feel better about
        yourself. But if you just stop obeying them, stop buying that
        crap, use the old stuff until it wears out, defy the image
        makers, then you liberate yourself from this sick culture.
        That’s when you can really start feeling good about yourself.

        For one thing, you’re definancing the war. Corporate and
        government resources are limited. Every dollar less that you
        give them is one they can’t use to kill people overseas.

        This war has already devastated the economy. Taxes and the
        national debt are maxed out. They can’t go higher. If costs
        continue to rise and we continue to lose, the only solution will
        be to pull out the troops. Mass murder has become a luxury the
        USA can no longer afford. Thousands of small acts of citizen
        sabotage will help pull the plug on the war.

        Making concrete suggestions about this could get me put in jail
        these days, so I can’t be too specific. But each of us has gifts
        for resistance, and I think we should use them to toss monkey
        wrenches into the works. I have a few personal projects that
        mean a lot to me.

        Most Americans object to this approach because it might affect
        their personal lives. We’ve been brought up to see that as our
        top priority. But allowing our government to be viciously
        militaristic will inevitably harm our lives more. To end the
        cycle, we have to stop the killing, even if that temporarily
        makes things harder for us. The two forms of aggression — wars
        abroad and declining wages at home — are linked. Both are
        functions of capitalism. We need to break its hold on us.

Beneath the bravado, her voice was now tinged with anxiety. She didn’t
want to say too much. She didn’t know me very well. She — like all of us
— wasn’t sure how far her freedoms go anymore.

        Doing something as mild as voting for a minor party deprives the
        major parties of votes and shows how illegitimate they are.

“What if that helps someone like Bush or McCain get elected?” I wanted
to know.

With a dismissing wave she said:

        It doesn’t matter. US militarism has bipartisan support. Bush’s
        crudeness just made clear what US policy has been for over two
        hundred years: Empire building. The other presidents, including
        Obama, just did it less blatantly.

        Thomas Jefferson was the founding father of imperialism. He said
        we should move in to replace the fading power of the Spanish
        empire in Latin America. And we’ve done that, sometimes by
        conquest, sometimes by working through their local rulers.

        The founding fathers were just rich men looking after their own
        interests. Just like our current leaders are. We need to knock
        these patriarchs off their pedestals.

        They’ve become masters at recruiting women to serve their
        interests. Most women politicians are offering us the same old
        system dressed up in a new outfit, just patriarchy with perfume.

I asked her how she thinks we should oppose patriarchy.
With a mix of irony and sincerity that showed her to be both a radical
feminist and a well-mannered Southern lady, she first asked me if I
would like more iced tea. Then she said:

        Both men and women have internalized patriarchal assumptions,
        and we’ve been brought up to think that’s the only way things
        can be. We need to root these implanted concepts out of us. Art
        can do that. Lesbian and gay cultures can do that. Some
        psychotherapies can do it. Theologies that oppose the notion of
        a Heavenly Father can do it.

        Patriarchy has robbed women of our power. That’s why so many of
        us feel incomplete and inadequate. The culture tells us we need
        a man to fill that void, but we gradually and painfully learn
        that traps us in dependency. It isn’t fair to the men either,
        because we’ve given them the responsibility for making us whole,
        which is something another person can’t do for you. This
        romantic myth we’re fed is like a drug to keep us helpless — the
        opiate of the lasses. What we need is not a man. We need to take
        our power back. Then we can have an equal relationship with a
        man, if that’s what we want.

        At some point opposing patriarchy almost always brings us into
        opposition to our fathers, and that’s scary ground for a lot of
        us. Before women can change, we have to confront the part of
        ourselves that still needs our father’s praise. As long as we
        unconsciously want to be daddy’s little girl, we’re going to
        support the system.

I commented that it sounds like she’s got over that.
She shook her head.

        I’m still working on it, and it’s painful. But you know what? I
        actually have a better relationship with my father because of
        it. Now I know him more as an actual person, rather than the
        projection of an internalized myth. But that too has been a long
        process.

I said, “None of this — the political and personal change — is easy, is
it?”

She concluded:

        No, it’s not. But it’s worth doing. It’s necessary. Things can’t
        go on this way. We can’t let business run the world. We can’t
        let governments keep killing people.

--
ObombA did not win erection, Trotskite RINO Mitt Romney threw the
election.  -- Rush Limbaugh