[Rushtalk] I guess this is why we have an email list

Paf Dvorak notmyname at thatswaytoomuch.info
Fri Mar 22 12:10:39 MDT 2013

It really frosts my ass when a newspaper on the web doesn't allow comments!

My comments in red.

Spineless pols spit on the graves of Newtown
victims by not pushing for assault weapons ban

<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lupica-pols-spit-graves-newtown-vics-article-1.1293386#ixzz2OI5RkSpp>http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lupica-pols-spit-graves-newtown-vics-article-1.1293386#ixzz2OI5RkSpp

The words of a teary-eyed President and other
politicians meant nothing, (true) because they
didn't turn into action, as a ban on assault
weapons won’t be included in gun legislation
that's shaping up in the U.S. Senate. After
Newtown and the other tragedies, it begs the question, 'If not now, when?'

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Tuesday, March 19, 2013, 8:43 PM

Updated: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 12:00 AM

AP Photo/Charles Dharapak

Emacs!

President Barack Obama wipes his eye as he speaks
soon after about the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Conn.

This is what an emotional President Obama said in
a gym in Newtown, Conn., on a Sunday night in
December, two days after 26 people ­ 20 of them
children ­ were murdered in cold blood by
<http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Adam+Lanza>Adam
Lanza, all of the killing done by a semiautomatic rifle called the AR-15:

“We can’t tolerate this anymore. We are not doing
enough and we will have to change.” (CHANGE!)

Then he looked out into the audience and into the
faces of the families of the victims of Sandy
Hook Elementary School and said this to them, and to the country:

<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/assault-weapons-ban-dropped-gun-package-article-1.1292862>RELATED:
NRA WINS: ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN DROPPED FROM GUN CONTROL PACKAGE

No wait, he said:

“I’ll use whatever power this office holds ... in
an effort aimed at preventing more tragedies like this. No pun intended"

(OK, he didn't say "no pun intended" but he should have)
Dailynewsfront_0320

The March 20, 2013 edition of The Daily News.

But what does the President say now to the
families of the victims of Sandy Hook, and
Aurora, Colo., and all the other victims of mass
murders and glory killers in this country? What
does he say now that it becomes clear that a ban
on assault weapons won’t even be legitimately
included in the gun legislation being shaped this
week in the U.S. Senate? (He'll say he needs 4 more years, of course!)

Any fool knows that Lanza couldn’t possibly have
killed as many children as quickly as he did on
the morning of Dec. 14 without an assault weapon
in his hands. (And yet the "assault weapons" of
mass destruction were locked in his trunk! Maybe
he had lasers in his eyes?) So how does the
President and any other big politician who allows
the gun nuts from the National Rifle Association
to win again answer the larger question about
weapons that make killings like the
elementary-school massacre ridiculously easy:

<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/senate-panel-passes-assault-weapons-ban-party-line-vote-article-1.1288453>RELATED:
SENATE PANEL PASSES ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN ON PARTY-LINE VOTE

If not now for a ban for these weapons, when? (etc)

If Sandy Hook Elementary doesn’t make every
member of Congress take a stand against assault
weapons in this country, then what does? How many
small coffins do we need the next time?
lupica_1_0319

AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. speaks during a
news conference to introduce legislation on
assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition feeding devices.

And after the next Adam Lanza shows up with a gun
like an AR-15 in a school or a theater or a
shopping mall, no one will believe a word the
President says at the next memorial service about
profoundly changing gun laws in this country.
Because three months after Newtown, it turns out
that the President has no real power to change
anything when it comes to guns in the hands of the wrong people in America.

<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/soft-vulnerable-democratic-senators-feel-heat-pro-gun-voters-2014-article-1.1284957>RELATED:
GOING SOFT: VULNERABLE DEMOCRATIC SENATORS FEEL
HEAT FROM PRO-GUN VOTERS AHEAD OF 2014

Of course background checks are important. But so
is an assault weapons ban. And please don’t
believe the self-serving and slobbering
supporters of the NRA ­ that means all the
politicians in the House and the Senate who have
pimped themselves out to the NRA ­ who tell you
that a ban like this won’t make a difference,
will not save lives the next time.

That happens to be a shameful and gutless lie.

Again: Ask any gun owner if Lanza could have
killed as many children as he did in as short a
time as he did ­ before he was a sure shot
putting a bullet from one of his handguns through
his snake-filled brain ­ if he didn’t have an
AR-15 in his hands. Then go ask the gun lovers to
explain all over again how a ban on weapons like
this wouldn’t have saved three young lives that
morning, or five, or maybe even more than that.
Lupica_3_0319

Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images

Wayne LaPierre, CEO of the National Rifle
Association, delivers a fiery speech during an
appearance at the Conservative Political Action Conference.

<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/sen-schumer-gun-background-check-bill-crumbles-article-1.1282783>RELATED:
SEN. SCHUMER'S GUN BACKGROUND CHECK BILL CRUMBLES

We know how much money the NRA pours into
lobbying for guns like this to be completely
available in America. We know that it has turned
so many politicians, too many politicians, into
cowards in the face of the money and imagined
power of the NRA. But what dollar value would the
NRA put on the life of a single child who could
have been saved that morning if Adam Lanza had
only been firing away with a handgun?

All we get now on guns in Washington is pathetic
deal-making. We see even tough, noble politicians
fighting for the ban, such as Sen. Dianne
Feinstein (D-Calif.), giving up on the assault
weapons ban because it is too controversial, and
will perhaps kill the chance for other gun
restrictions that do have bipartisan support.

Feinstein has fought for more gun control for
such a long time and was nearly in tears Tuesday
when talking about the failure of the ban to even
make it to the Senate floor as anything more than
an amendment in a much bigger gun bill.

“People say, ‘well, are you disappointed?’ ”
Feinstein said. “Obviously, I’m disappointed.”

Wayne LaPierre of the NRA, the face and voice
opposing gun control in America, yammers on
constantly about how only good guys with guns can
stop bad guys with guns, as if the only way to
make us all safer from killing machines like
Lanza are more guns. But you have to know this
was a day in Washington when the bad guys won, and won big.

There is a reason why nearly 140,000 print and
online readers of the Daily News signed petitions
in this newspaper’s campaign to ban assault
weapons and high-capacity magazines. It is
because they believed ­ and properly so ­ that
this moment, the moment of Newtown, of Sandy Hook
Elementary, should not be lost, because if it is, maybe it is lost forever.

It was officially lost in Washington on Tuesday,
lost to fear and lost to ignorance and lost to
the NRA. One last time: If not a ban on assault
weapons now, then when? Shame on them all.

<mailto:mlupica at nydailynews.com>mlupica at nydailynews.com

Read more: