[Rushtalk] Liberalism = State Religion?!?

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 25 12:21:18 MDT 2013

HumanEvents

Politics

Worshipping the State

By: <http://www.humanevents.com/author/benjamin-wiker/>Benjamin Wiker
3/25/2013 08:56 AM

RESIZE: AAA
Print

Author and speaker Benjamin Wiker, Ph.D. has
published eleven books, his newest being
<http://www.amazon.com/Worshipping-State-Liberalism-Became-Religion/dp/1621570290>Worshipping
the State: How Liberalism Became Our State
Religion. His website is www.benjaminwiker.com

***

As the Supreme Court hears arguments for and
against gay marriage we might stand back from the
whole judicial fracas and ask ourselves a larger
and hopefully more startling question: “What is
the government doing deciding what marriage is?”

This is really two questions in one. First, how
did it come to be that we, as a culture, are in a
position where something seemingly so natural,
something that existed long before any
governments were around, is now up for debate?
Second, why is it that we would look to a branch
of the government to settle that debate?

The answer to the first question is rather
complex. For centuries (not just decades)
liberalism has been picking away at the Christian
foundations of Western culture. Liberalism is, in
essence, a secular and secularizing movement; it
is historically defined by its opposition to
Christianity. Wherever secular liberalism
spreads, Christianity recedes. Look at Europe.

Christianity defined marriage by what we might
call radical monogamy: a life-long, entirely
exclusive union of one man and one woman. No sex
before marriage. No concubines. No polygamy. No
divorce (except for infidelity). No
homosexuality. No fiddling with little boys.

The pagan Roman culture into which Christianity
was born smiled on sex wherever, whenever, and
with whomever it occurred. Marriage was an
important social institution in Rome, but it was
not defined by radical monogamy. Concubines? No
problem. Sex with your male and female slaves? No
big deal. Divorce? Happens all the time. Got a
favorite boy? Don’t we all. Like pornography?
We’ll paint the walls of your villa next week.

<http://www.humanevents.com/2013/03/25/god-gay-marriage-and-the-imperial-court/300x250_worshipping_the_state/>
300x250_Worshipping_The_State

Homosexuality was as widespread in Rome as it was
in Greece, and, yes, in Rome there was gay
marriage. Right at the top of society. The
emperor Nero married one Pythagoras, and we have reports of other such unions.

That was the marital, sexual status quo of the
society into which Christianity was born. As Rome
fell, and Christianity rose, the Christian
understanding of sexuality and marriage
transformed the Roman Empire­proto-Europe, we
might call it. With that transformation the
radical monogamy of Christianity became the
social, moral, legal standard, so normal that it
was regarded as natural. It is only because
Christianity won out over pagan Rome that we are
having arguments about marriage today. If
Christians had been summarily extinguished by
imperial Rome, radical monogamy would have
disappeared with it, along with opposition to homosexuality.

Christianity’s radical monogamy is indeed based
in nature, in the obvious complementarity of the
sexes, male and female. But admittedly it asks a
lot of nature, pushing beyond mere convenience,
and upwards to perfection. In a very real way,
Christianity asks more of marriage than mere
mortals­in all our weakness­have the power to
give. But that is, in fact, a central doctrine of
Christianity: we are fallen and need God’s grace
to do what is truly good, truly right.

Modern liberalism, arriving on the scene, said
“no” to Christianity. “No” in the secular sense
of denying the existence of God, and hence of the
whole social, moral, legal apparatus of
Christianity. But also “no” in the allegedly
humanitarian sense­Christianity asks too much; it
sets the bar for sexuality and marriage too high.

And so liberalism said, “Radical monogamy is too
much to ask. Loosen up the strings on sexuality and marriage.”

The sexual revolution is the loosening up of
strings­so loose, in fact, that we have returned
pretty much to the situation of ancient pagan Rome.

So, that’s the answer to the first question. We
are debating what marriage is, and considering
instituting gay marriage, because history has run
a great arc. De-Christianization has led us right
back to pagan Rome, to the good old pre-Christian
days when sexuality was free to run wherever the
passions led it. The re-affirmation of homosexual
marriage just completes the historical arc.
Now for the second question. Why are we looking
to one branch of government to settle the issue of what marriage is?

Historically, liberalism is a top-down
revolution. It uses the power of the government
to reform society­through control of public
education, through the courts, through executive
orders, through bureaucratic agencies. All organs of the state.

Liberals look to the state, in the way that
Christianity looks to the church­as the
institution responsible for evangelizing society.
When persuasion doesn’t work (through public
education or media propaganda), they resort to the blunt use of judicial fiat.

That’s why liberals want the Supreme Court to
redefine marriage in Hollingsworth v. Perry.

But that makes it, at the same time, an issue of
church and state­the secular state saying to the
Christian church, a very imperial “We say that
marriage is this. You will affirm gay marriage.
You will bend the knee before the state.”

And that just means, “Christians, you will bend the knee before liberalism.”