[Rushtalk] Who's The Racist, Now?!?

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 5 12:08:43 MST 2013

Democrat Won't Shake African-American Republican's Hand

By <http://eaglerising.com/author/onancoca/>Onan
Coca / 5 November 2013 /
<http://eaglerising.com/2717/democrat-wont-shake-african-american-republicans-hand/#disqus_thread>146
comments
631Share 10 901Share 99Tweet
<http://eaglerising.com/2717/democrat-wont-shake-african-american-republicans-hand/>
[]
<http://eaglerising.com/2717/democrat-wont-shake-african-american-republicans-hand/>
[]
<http://eaglerising.com/2717/democrat-wont-shake-african-american-republicans-hand/>
[]

You could put this one down as the classic, “What
if a Republican had done this?” Imagine if you
will a Republican candidate for Lt. Governor in
the great state of Virginia refusing to shake an
African-American opponent’s hand. What do you
think the first thing the news media might say
about the situation? That’s right, the Republican
would quickly be labeled a racist.

The “non-handshake” moment came on the heels of
Republican candidate for Lt. Governor, E.W.
Jackson, tying his opponent, Northam, to the
Obamacare failures and implying that the Democrat
believed that Christians had no right to oppose
gay marriage. “
Northam believes people who do
not embrace gay marriage have no place in
Virginia. (One of Northam’s relevant statements
is linked
<http://news.fredericksburg.com/on-politics/2013/06/26/state-politicians-reactions-on-supreme-court-same-sex-marriage-rulings/>here.)
Jackson adds that he believes that there is
increasing intolerance of devout Christians on
this issue and that Northam’s statements suggest
anti-Christian bias.” Interestingly, Northam
didn’t dispute the attack, but simply voiced his support for gay marriage.

While Democrats and the media may think that the
Northam’s refusal to shake his opponent’s hand
may be no big deal,
<http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/03/Civil-Rights-Leaders-React-to-VA-Dem-Lt-Gov-Candidate-Refusing-to-Shake-Opponent-s-Hand>several
prominent civil rights leaders disagree.

Dr. Alveda King, the niece of the great Dr.
Martin Luther King Jr. said, “I was saddened to
learn today that Lt. Gov. candidate Ralph Northam
refused to shake the hands of his opponent E.W.
Jackson at the end of a television debate.  I am
deeply burdened by the loss of civility in
politics today. Refusing to shake hands with your
opponent in front of a television audience takes
the loss of civility to a new low
 I would hope
that his refusal to shake hands had nothing to do
with the color of his opponent’s skin
 It is my
hope that in these last hours of the race, Ralph
Northam will recognize his inappropriate behavior
and offer an apology to E.W. Jackson and to all those he hopes to represent.”

<http://eaglerising.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ewjackson3.png>
ewjackson3
Ken Blackwell from the ACLU seemed to think that
this kind of behavior may disqualify Northam from
political office. “People sometimes accuse
politicians of being two-faced or insincere when
they refer to bitter opponents as “my good
friend” and pose for smiling photos with them.
It’s not deception; it’s basic courtesy and
respect, without which democracy cannot function.

In many countries, disagreements over policy end
in brutal government oppression or even
bloodshed. Politics can be so passionate with
people clashing over views that an essential
element of building goodwill and finding common
ground is by working overtime to be courteous and
complimentary. Unfortunately, Mr. Northam’s
actions fall short of that important standard.”

For his part
<http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/11/04/EW-Jackson-Handshake-Snub-Insulting>E.W.
Jackson wasn’t surprised by his opponent’s lack
of couth. "It was insulting, but, on the other
hand, I thought it was consistent with the way he behaves.”

I hate the double standard that exists in the
political media. Democrats get a pass for
insulting behavior, but Republicans are treated like monsters.

I guess we shouldn’t hold our breath hoping for things to change

Read more at
<http://eaglerising.com/2717/democrat-wont-shake-african-american-republicans-hand/#KbQGPwXQLwQV3Lfm.99>http://eaglerising.com/2717/democrat-wont-shake-african-american-republicans-hand/#KbQGPwXQLwQV3Lfm.99