[Rushtalk] Democrat Columnist Calls For Ending Military Funeral Honors For Vets, “Most Veterans Did Nothing Heroic”?

Carl Spitzer cwsiv at keepandbeararms.com
Sun Nov 10 18:53:11 MST 2013

http://redflagnews.com/headlines/liberal-columnist-calls-for-ending-military-funeral-honors-for-vets-most-veterans-did-nothing-heroic

URGENT: Liberal Columnist Calls For Ending Military Funeral Honors For
Vets, “Most Veterans Did Nothing Heroic”...

March 28, 2013

H/TFinalHonors.org (A military funeral honors resource website for
families of deceased veterans -- to be launched April 15th by the
founder of RedFlag News)

We encourage that you share your thoughts with this columnist, Bill
McClellan, here: bmcclellan at post-dispatch.com

Bill McClellan: One last call to service – end military funeral
honors — St.Louis Post-Dispatch

        . . . According to the program’s website, it is funded by the
        federal government and the Missouri National Guard Trust Fund.

        Both the federal government and the state government are broke.
        So why are we providing military funeral honors for all
        veterans? It is a nice gesture we can’t afford.

        Certainly, men and women killed in combat deserve full military
        honors. It’s a way for the country to say, “We honor the memory
        of those who died in our service.” These military honors — and
        the thought behind them — are intended to provide some solace
        for the families of the fallen.

        But what about the guy who spends a couple of years in the
        military and then gets on with his life? Bear in mind that most
        veterans did nothing heroic. They served, and that’s laudable,
        but it hardly seems necessary to provide them all with military
        honors after they have died. In fact, it seems generous enough
        to provide veterans and their spouses with free space and
        headstones at a national cemetery.

        Why not let the veterans organizations provide military honors
        at the funerals of their members? If a person gets out of the
        Marine Corps and wants to stay connected, he can join the Marine
        Corps League.

        I’m sure the 101st Airborne has an association. In a more
        general vein, we have the American Legion and the VFW.

        Providing military honor funerals for their members would be a
        boon to these organizations. Membership would presumably climb,
        and veterans who want the military funerals could still get
        them.

        Everybody knows government needs to cut costs.

        This is exactly how you do it.