[Rushtalk] Mossberg Gun Company Shift Jobs Out of Connecticut to Texas

Carl Spitzer lynux at keepandbeararms.com
Fri Aug 15 05:48:17 MDT 2014

Borders allow one to escape a bad government for a better one.
Without them bad governments would simply hunt down and rob whosoever
they choose.

CWSIV

DRIVING THEM SOUTH:

Mossberg Is The Latest Company Shift Jobs

Out Of Anti-Liberty Connecticut

Posted by Bob Owens on July 14, 2014 at 9:54 pmhttp://bearingarms.com/

mossberg

Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy was more than happy to capitalize on
the deaths of children at Sandy Hook Elementary School to push
his anti-gun agenda. He doesn’t  have quite as much to say now, as the
law he signed is creating new jobs… in Texas.

        America’s largest shotgun manufacturer, O.F. Mossberg & Sons,
        Inc., decided not to expand in Connecticut. Sure it was founded
        there 1919 and still has its corporate headquarters in North
        Haven. But in 2013 Connecticut rushed through legislation to ban
        some of Mossberg’s popular products. As a result, Mossberg CEO,
        Iver Mossberg, says, “Investing in Texas was an easy decision.
        It’s a state that is not only committed to economic growth but
        also honors and respects the Second Amendment and the firearm
        freedoms it guarantees for our customers.”

        Mossberg has instead expanded its Maverick Arms, Inc. facility
        in Eagle Pass, Texas, with 116,000 new square-feet of factory
        space. Mossberg is not a small gun manufacturer. According to
        records kept by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and
        Explosives (ATF), Mossberg made 475,364 guns in America in 2011.
        Of those guns, a total of 423,570 were shotguns made for
        sportsmen, for shotgun sports enthusiasts, for law-enforcement
        and for people who want a shotgun to protect their homes and
        families.

        More than 90 percent of Mossberg’s guns are now made in Texas.
        Some of its Connecticut jobs are going there, too. Tom Taylor,
        O.F. Mossberg & Sons’ senior vice president, sales & marketing,
        tells me, “We’re moving all wood gun stock production to our
        Texas facility. More of our product lines—like our modern
        sporting rifles—might move to Texas in the future. Texas has
        been very good to us. Also, our gun sales have been so dynamic
        over the last number of years. We’ve outgrown our facilities.
        This major expansion will help us keep up with demand.”

PTR Industries has already fled Connecticut, and the future of other
firearms manufacturers, such as Colt and Stag Arms seems very much in
doubt. If these companies leave the state many more jobs may be lost,
including those in companies that support the gun companies with parts
and services.

Malloy is simply lucky that Connecticut had 0% unemployment and all of
the tax revenue that the state could want.