[Rushtalk] Gov. RINO Rick Perry Op-Ed: "What Obama Missed On The Border"

Carl Spitzer lynux at keepandbeararms.com
Sat Aug 16 09:29:54 MDT 2014

What Obama Missed on the Border:

 If the president came to see the disastrous effects of

Washington's policy in person, he might want to act.

07/15/14

RINO Rick Perry

In 2012, I alerted the federal government to the growing problem of
unaccompanied minors making the treacherous journey across Mexico to
reach the United States. At that point the minors could annually be
numbered in the hundreds or thousands.

In recent months, tens of thousands of children have come across the
border and are now housed in federal facilities across the U.S., the
result of failed federal policies and Washington's indifference to
securing the border.

I visited one of these facilities in June and saw these children,
frightened and alone, who left their homes and families, survived a
harrowing trip, and are now facing an unknown future. It was staggering
to realize that this humanitarian crisis is not the result of a natural
disaster, but of our nation's own misguided laws and misplaced
priorities. It's nothing less than a moral outrage.

President Obama last week proposed $3.7 billion in spending to deal with
the continuing crisis. But only a small fraction of that money would go
to the actual core of this problem: the lack of sufficient resources to
secure the border. The majority of the billions he proposes to spend—
including on housing and transporting the minors around the country—is
treating the symptoms of the problem instead of addressing its root
cause.

When I met with President Obama last Wednesday to discuss this crisis, I
reminded him that securing the border is not only one of the core
responsibilities of the federal government, it's also an attainable
goal.

I made clear that this is not just Texas' problem. The effects of a
porous border are felt everywhere. In the case of the children, many
will ultimately be released on the condition that they appear—after
waiting many months or even years—for a hearing to determine whether
they should be deported. Experience shows that many simply won't show
up, vanishing into cities across the country.

The porous border also leads to increased crime, a stronger drug trade
and the specter of international terror. There have been numerous
instances of illegal border crossing by people from countries with ties
to terrorism, including Somalia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan and
Albania.

This has been a concern in my state for many years, which is why Texas
has stepped in where the federal government hasn't. Since 2005, Texas
has spent more than $500 million to fill the significant gaps in federal
efforts to secure the border. We have deployed airplanes and
helicopters, watercraft and Ranger Recon surveillance teams to quickly
respond in remote areas of the border region where illegal activity is
expected.

We were doing that even before the federal Border Patrol was overwhelmed
by the current crisis. Since we know that transnational gangs and drug
cartels are always looking for opportunities to take advantage of
diversions, last month Texas committed additional spending of $1.3
million a week to expand law-enforcement operations in the region.

But all of these are stopgap measures. Securing the border is a national
responsibility, even if it hasn't been taken seriously in Washington for
far too long.

As I told the president, the first step is granting my long-standing
request to send 1,000 National Guard troops to the border to supplement
security efforts until a sufficient number of Border Patrol officers are
hired, trained and deployed.

The president needs to direct the Federal Aviation Administration to
allow drones to monitor suspected illegal activity along the border and
track those responsible. He also needs to work with Congress to revisit
and modify existing laws, including a 2008 law that unintentionally
makes it harder to deport individuals from countries other than Mexico
and Canada. Such laws serve as magnets for illegal immigrants, who are
hearing that if they or their children make it to the U.S. they can stay
indefinitely, without consequence.

There also has to be an increased federal emphasis on diplomatic
efforts. We need to put pressure on the countries where these children
are coming from, such as Honduras and El Salvador, as well as on the
Mexican government, which is reportedly implementing new laws to track
but not stop the flow of children through its country. Mexico would be
better served securing its own southern borders than making it easier
for children to travel alone through dangerous territory.

Everyone feels sympathy for the children housed in detention centers.
But there is nothing compassionate about policies that encourage more
young children to leave their families and travel to a foreign land.
They are in extreme danger on every step of the journey, clinging to the
tops and sides of trains and at the mercy of human smugglers. Letting
them stay means that far more will follow.

While it's encouraging that President Obama says we're all
philosophically on the same page in our concern for the children's
well-being, we need to see action, and soon, to solve this crisis and
avert further ones. It's also far past time for him to see the effects
of Washington's disastrous policies firsthand. He should visit the
border and the overcrowded detention centers, then maybe the urgent need
to act will become clear.

It is every bit as important for President Obama to show leadership with
Congress, persuading lawmakers to go beyond addressing the current
humanitarian crisis and finally close down the revolving door that is
our southern border. I suggest that he meet with members of the Texas
delegation, from both parties, who have firsthand knowledge of the
challenges a border state faces, and the best ways to solve them.

The people contemplating sending their children on a perilous journey to
America must know that our border is secure and that endangering their
lives will not be rewarded.

RINO, Rick Perry, a Republican, is the governor of Texas.

You may also view here: http://on.wsj.com/1zHNCXl