[Rushtalk] Cops To Collect Traffic Fines On the Spot Via Credit or Debit Card

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 2 19:42:26 MST 2014

At 05:18 PM 12/2/2014, Stephen A. Frye wrote:

>Of course it isn't fair. If a cop is drunk, he/she needs to be
>punished as well. If he/she isn't, then that needs to be swiftly
>addressed and corrected.

         Good luck with that! Don't know about your locale, but our
town is the lone municipality in the area WITHOUT dash cams and we
have the second most corrupt police force/judicial system in
Pennsylvania. Recently, two judges were relieved of their duties
without explanation. The policeman's union won't allow the city
council to purchase dash cams, threatening wildcat walkoff.

>But it is neither excuse nor reason nor justification for allowing
>someone else to do the same thing.
>
>I am not sure what you mean by proving impairment.

         The arresting officer need only to charge you with the
offense. It's impossible to beat the rap. He doesn't have to have
prove you were incapable of handling a motorized vehicle, nor does he
need probable cause to pull you over. He can just make it up (and
more do than you realize!) In June, two people were convicted for
DUIs while riding bicycles - one in Washington County (where I live)
and the other in neighboring Fayette County. The state vehicle code
specifically states that you MUST be piloting a MOTORIZED vehicle in
order to be charged. A bicycle isn't motorized........

         As far as proving impairment (further), if you pull of the
road to "sleep it off", you can be charged with DUI if police arrive
and find your keys on your person - not necessarily in the ignition,
either. A lady I know from the area had someone drive her home in her
car. They stopped at A convenience store and the woman was sleeping
in the passenger seat when a cop spied her and went to investigate.
The keys were in the ignition as the driver had left to go into the
store. The result was the woman (who had done the right thing in
getting someone else to drive her home) was charged with a DUI and
got 180 days of house arrest with an alcohol monitor (that's $22/day,

>If you man subjectively, then of course not. An objective means is
>the only practical way. And it needs to be enforced equally to all.
>Some will sneak through. That can't be avoided. But I believe that
>law enforcement must aggressively enforce the legal limits in place.
>DUI cannot be tolerated.

         Again, I know the horrors of losing a family member (my dad)
to a DUI and I take that very seriously. However, the pendulum has
swung way too far the other way................