[Rushtalk] THE NIGHT WATCHMAN

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 2 19:45:54 MST 2014

THE NIGHT WATCHMAN
Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle
of a desert.
Congress said, "Someone may steal from it at night." So they created
a night watchman position and hired a person for the job.
Then Congress said, "How does the watchman do his job without
instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two
people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do
time studies.
Then Congress said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing the
tasks correctly?"So they created a Quality Control department and
hired two people. One was to do the studies and one was to write the reports.
Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?" So they
created two positions: a time keeper and a payroll officer then hired
two people.
Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?"
So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an
Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal
Secretary.
Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one
year and we are $918,000 over budget, we must cut back." So they
laid-off the night watchman.
NOW slowly, let it sink in.
Quietly, we go like sheep to slaughter. Does anybody remember the
reason given for the establishment of the DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY during
the Carter administration?
Anybody?
Anything?
No?
Didn't think so!
Bottom line is, we've spent several hundred billion dollars in
support of an agency, the reason for which very few people who read
this can remember!
Ready??
It was very simple... and at the time, everybody thought it very appropriate.
The Department of Energy was instituted on 8/04/1977, TO LESSEN OUR
DEPENDENCE ON FOREIGN OIL.
Hey, pretty efficient, huh?
AND NOW IT'S 2012 -- 35 YEARS LATER -- AND THE BUDGET FOR THIS
"NECESSARY" DEPARTMENT IS AT $24.2 BILLION A YEAR. IT HAS 16,000
FEDERAL EMPLOYEES AND APPROXIMATELY 100,000 CONTRACT EMPLOYEES; AND
LOOK AT THE JOB IT HAS DONE!
(THIS IS WHERE YOU SLAP YOUR FOREHEAD AND SAY, "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?")
34 years ago 30% of our oil consumption was foreign imports. Today
70% of our oil consumption is foreign imports.
Ah, yes -- good old Federal bureaucracy.
NOW, WE HAVE TURNED OVER THE BANKING SYSTEM, HEALTH CARE, AND THE
AUTOINDUSTRY TO THE SAME GOVERNMENT?
Hello! Anybody Home?
Signed...The Night Watchman