[Rushtalk] Smart electrical meters-Frighting

Tom Matiska tom.matiska at att.net
Fri Feb 7 09:36:10 MST 2014

DejaVu all over again.   What we hashed out last Feb is becoming more and more real.   Monitoring is the start.  As smart load centers replace the old fashioned circuit breaker panel and smart wifi thermostats replace the old mercury switches they will be able to manage peak demand.  Enviro-weenies can continue their war against coal without  replacing lost capacity.

Devices may be getting smarter, but boy can we be stupid.   We have a problem at work where the aux cooling system for our computer room was trying to turn it into an icebox.  No need for the chillers on the roof to operate in the winter, right?  So they are bypassed and cooler outside air is used to cool the room.   Someone programming our Honeywell controller for lower temp simply increased the amount of cold air blown into the building during these winter months.    Only in a govt type operation can we turn off an air conditioning unit in the winter but increase our bill because we are using outside air to cool a room to 69 that we are trying to heat to the 70's.        Tom

.