[Rushtalk] Because It's *STILL* Relevant!

Steven Laib stevenlaib at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 28 19:51:24 MST 2014

The issue with the numbers "recycling" isn't exactly correct.
The first three numbers identify the state in which the card was
issued.  The second two identify the year in which it was issued.
As a result, the identifiers for CT would only be used on a card issued
in that state.  So, for a resident of HI to have a CT number
makes no sense and is reason to believe that the number is not his.

BTW, when I was working Bankruptcy law in CA, member of the Bankruptcy
bar met with people from the IRS on a several occasions and
the subject of the use of the numbers came up.  The IRS and the
California Franchise Tax Board have files with duplicate numbers
that were "stolen" and used by people who are probably illegals here in
the US.  They made sub files for the duplicate numbers to
keep them separate from the "real" numbers.  This is probably going on
in every state where the SSN is used for tax purposes.

SDL