[Rushtalk] Local Boneheads........

John A. Quayle blueoval57 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 4 19:26:21 MDT 2014

         This is what passes for "logical,
analytical thinking" from the local newspaper:

A foolish mistake by the high court

Published Jul 2, 2014 at 10:16 pm (Updated Jul 2, 2014 at 10:16 pm)
<http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=300&pubid=ra-4e6f754d36e640a1>
Bookmark and Share

<http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140702/OPINION01/140709919&template=printarticle>
[]
  <http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art_tips?Site=OR&Date=20140702&Category=OPINION01&ArtNo=140709919&Ref=AR>
[]
 Make text smaller Make text larger

There are so many things wrong with the Supreme
Court’s ruling in the Hobby Lobby case it’s difficult to decide where to begin.

The high court ruled the other day, in a 5-4
decision, that Hobby Lobby and other closely held
corporations are not bound by the contraception
mandate in the Affordable Care Act if it violates their religious beliefs.

The Green family, Christians who own the massive
arts-and-crafts company, contended certain
contraceptive methods – two so-called Plan B
pills and two intrauterine devices – were the
equivalent of abortion. Doctors and researchers
would tell you they’re wrong about that, but it
didn’t seem to matter to the conservative
majority on the court. As we know, on that side
of the political spectrum, religion trumps science.

So, essentially, the same justices who determined
a while back that corporations are people have
now given some of those “people” special
religious rights that allow them to ignore laws with which they disagree.

In a blistering dissent, Justice Ruth Bader
Ginsburg stated, correctly in our view, the
majority on the court had “ventured into a minefield.”

It’s not just a slippery slope. It’s a sheet of ice slathered in Crisco.

Under the court majority’s reasoning, there would
seem to be little to stop other business owners
from using their religion to opt out of any
number of other drug coverages or procedures. For
instance, a Jehovah’s Witness who shuns blood
transfusions could refuse to cover that procedure
for his employees. Want to vaccinate your kids?
You might be digging into your own pocket if your
boss is a devout Christian Scientist. The
possibilities seem endless, and harmful to the overall public health.

We also agree with Ginsburg’s view that even if
the court determined the contraception
requirement was a burden to Hobby Lobby, fellow
plaintiff Conestoga Wood Specialties and others,
it is clear covering birth-control measures for
women is “a compelling interest in public health and women’s well being.”

And we can only imagine what the reaction would
have been if a case was brought by a Muslim
business owner trying to put his beliefs before
the health-care interests of his workers.
Knuckleheads such as Sean Hannity and Ann Coulter
would be screeching, “They’re trying to impose Sharia law!”

We also must note the level of hypocrisy on the
part of Hobby Lobby borders on the astounding.

First, before the Greens decided to sue the
government, some of the same contraceptives the
company ended up challenging in court was covered
under Hobby Lobby’s health plan, presumably
without deleterious effect on the owners’ souls.

Second, according to a Mother Jones report, a few
months after the company filed its suit, it
submitted documents to the Department of Labor
showing the Hobby Lobby retirement plan “held
more than $73 million in mutual funds with
investments in companies that produce emergency
contraceptive pills, intrauterine devices and
drugs commonly used in abortions.”

Third, Hobby Lobby buys quite a bit of cheap
merchandise from China, which is known not only
for borderline gulag labor conditions but also
for abortions, which are a government service
available on demand and sometimes forced on
women. But by all means, look the other way. It’s better for business.

We also wonder whether the folks at Hobby Lobby
realize that by denying contraceptive coverage to
their employees, they actually are increasing the likelihood of abortions.

Don’t kid yourself into thinking this case was
about morality and what Jesus would do. From the
filing of the lawsuit to the decision by the five
justices, it was politics, pure and simple.