[Rushtalk] Democrats Running Amuck?

Richard Whitenight rwhitenight2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 04:08:14 MDT 2014

(CNSNews.com) - Placing free birth control above religious freedom,
Democrats in both the Senate
<http://www.murray.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/newsreleases?ContentRecord_id=25277c4f-00ee-45af-aded-3d03b5fec6a9>
and
theHouse
<http://nadler.house.gov/press-release/slaughter-degette-nadler-introduce-legislation-response-hobby-lobby-decision>
on
Wednesday announced legislation to "right" the alleged "wrong" done to
women by the U.S. Supreme Court's recent Hobby Lobby ruling.

"Women across the country and men are outraged by a decision by five
Supreme Court justices that all of a sudden says your boss has an
opportunity to decide for you what your health care choices are," Sen.
Patty Murray, the bill's sponsor, told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell on Wednesday.

"That outrage is being transmitted to everyone, and I think we have a very
good chance of rewriting the law so that the justices can't take away
women's ability to make their own health care choices."

The text of Murray's bill reads in part: "The purpose of this Act is to
ensure that employers that provide health benefits to their employees
cannot deny any specific health benefits, including contraception coverage,
to any of their employees or the covered dependents of such employees
entitled by Federal law to receive such coverage."

On June 30, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that under a law called the
Religious Freedom Restoration Act, the federal government could not force
some "closely held" corporations, including Hobby Lobby, owned by a
Christian family, to provide insurance coverage for certain drugs and
devices, including abortifacients, that violate the family's religious
beliefs.

"Well, the Supreme Court, in my opinion -- the five justices turned the
Freedom of Religion Act (sic) upside down in their interpretation," Murray
told MSNBC on Wednesday. "So what our legislation does is make it very
affirmative that a CEO, a corporation, cannot interfere with their
employees' health care decisions."

Murray said Congress previously has rewritten laws when the Supreme Court
"interpreted those laws in a different way."

"That's what we're doing with this legislation today," she added.

Murray also mentioned that some people "are going to take this in a
partisan way. That's the way the country is."

In fact, from President Obama on down, Democrats are pushing issues that
they believe will bring liberal female voters to the polls in November.
Birth control is one of those issues.

But according to Murray, "this is not a Democratic women's issue. It is not
just a Republican women's issue. This is an issue that affects 99 percent
of the women in this country who say they have or will use contraceptives."

She said the Supreme Court ruling "has caused great confusion, disarray and
an outrageous response...from people saying, who's deciding? It used to be
that me, my partner, my faith, my doctor made my health care decisions, and
now you insert the guy who signs your paycheck into that decision? That is
just outrageous."

The text of Murray's bill -- the "Protect Women’s Health from Corporate
Interference Act
<http://www.murray.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/d0bfe48e-9898-455a-8ed9-69a6c51ae026/protect-women-s-health-from-corporate-interference-act---bill-text---final.pdf>"
-- states that "access to birth control has been directly connected to
women’s economic success and ability to participate in society equally.
Women with access to birth control are more likely to have higher
educational achievement and career achievement, and to be paid higher
wages."

It also says: "Affordability has long been a barrier to women being able to
use birth control and other preventive health services effectively."

In a news release introducing the bill, Murray urged Republicans to "join
us to revoke this court-ordered license to discriminate."

Sen. Mark Udall (D-Colo.), who co-sponsored the bill with Murray, bemoaned
corporate intrusion into private lives: "Coloradans understand that women
should never have to ask their bosses for a permission slip to access
common forms of birth control or other critical health services," he said.

That same news release included response from leading liberal advocacy
groups:

"No woman should lose access to birth control because her boss doesn't
approve of it,” said Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards.

Ilyse Hogue, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, noted the "collective
gasp" that went up across the country -- "as Americans everywhere tried to
make sense of five male Justices on the Supreme Court deciding that our
bosses could have control over our birth control...Today, we hear those
gasps turn to cheers as we see champions in Congress move to right this
wrong."

The Democrats' legislation has no chance of  passing a divided Congress,
but it may serve as a useful fundraising tool.
Featured Video

--
Regards,
Richard Whitenight

Twitter:  @rwhitenight0648

My e-mail is being maintained by the NSA, CIA, FBI, and the Department of
Homeland Security.  You can't get better secure e-mail than that.