[Rushtalk] 10 Facts About The SWATification Of America That Everyone Should Know

Carl William Spitzer IV cwsiv at copper.net
Thu Jul 24 08:30:26 MDT 2014

10 Facts About The SWATification Of
America That Everyone Should Know

10 Facts About The SWATification Of America That Everyone Should Know

SWAT Team - Oregon Department Of TransportationThe number of SWAT team
raids in the United States every year is now more than 25 times higher
than it was back in 1980.  As America has conducted wars overseas in
recent years, our police forces have become increasingly militarized as
well.  And without a doubt, many of our cities have become much more
dangerous places.  Thanks to relentless illegal immigration, drug
cartels are thriving and there are now at least 1.4 million gang members
living in the United States.  But there are many that believe that the
militarization of our police forces has gone way too far.  Almost
weekly, SWAT team brutality somewhere in America makes national
headlines.  You are about to read about a couple of horrific examples of
this below.  Once upon a time, police in America were helpful and
friendly and the public generally trusted them.  But now our police
forces are being transformed into military-style units that often act
like they are in the middle of Iraq or Afghanistan.  The following are
10 facts about the SWATification of America that everyone should know…

#1 In 1980, there were approximately 3,000 SWAT raids in the United
States.  Now, there are more than 80,000 SWAT raids per year in this
country.

#2 79 percent of the time, SWAT teams are deployed to private homes.

#3 50 percent of the victims of SWAT raids are either black or Latino.

#4 In 65 percent of SWAT deployments, “a battering ram, boot, or some
sort of explosive device” is used to gain forced entry to a home.

#5 62 percent of all SWAT raids involve a search for drugs.

#6 In at least 36 percent of all SWAT raids, “no contraband of any kind”
is found by the police.

#7 In cases where it is suspected that there is a weapon in the home,
police only find a weapon 35 percent of the time.

#8 More than 100 American families have their homes raided by SWAT teams
every single day.

#9 Only 7 percent of all SWAT deployments are for “hostage, barricade or
active-shooter scenarios”.

#10 Even small towns are getting SWAT teams now.  30 years ago, only
25.6 percent of communities with populations between 25,000 and 50,000
people had a SWAT team.  Now, that number has increased to 80 percent.

And thanks to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, police forces all over
the nation are being showered with billions of dollars of military
equipment that is coming home from overseas.  The following is what a
recent Time Magazine article had to say about this phenomenon…

        As the Iraq and Afghanistan wars have wound down, police
        departments have been obtaining military equipment, vehicles and
        uniforms that have flowed directly from the Department of
        Defense. According to a new report by the ACLU, the federal
        government has funneled $4.3 billion of military property to law
        enforcement agencies since the late 1990s, including $450
        million worth in 2013. Five hundred law enforcement agencies
        have received Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles,
        built to withstand bomb blasts. More than 15,000 items of
        military protective equipment and “battle dress uniforms,” or
        fatigues worn by the U.S. Army, have been transferred. The
        report includes details of police agencies in towns like North
        Little Rock, Ark., (pop: 62,000), which has 34 automatic and
        semi-automatic rifles, a Mamba tactical vehicle and two
        MARCbots, which are armed robots designed for use in
        Afghanistan.

But when you start arming the police like military units and your start
training them like military units, eventually they start acting like
military units and the results are often quite frightening.

For example, just check out what happened when a SWAT team in Florida
raided the home of one young couple earlier this month…

        At approximately 6:16 am on June 10th, 2014, Kari Edwards and
        her live-in boyfriend were seized upon by a SWAT team who
        smashed in the door and using flashbangs and armed to the teeth,
        swarmed upon the couple and even stripped Ms. Edwards naked in
        the process.

        The couple says that the group entailed personnel from DHS, for
        whom Edwards once worked. After smashing in the door, the
        tactical team threw in flashbang grenades, traumatizing their
        cat and swarmed upon Edwards’s boyfriend and Edwards who had
        just gotten out of the shower.

        “They busted in like I was a terrorist or something,” Edwards
        said.

        “[An officer] demanded that I drop the towel I was covering my
        naked body with before snatching it off me physically and
        throwing me to the ground.”

        “While I lay naked, I was cuffed so tightly I could not feel my
        hands. For no reason, at gunpoint,” Edwards said. “[Agents]
        refused to cover me, no matter how many times I asked.”

That is the kind of thing that I would expect to happen in Nazi Germany,
not the United States of America.

But this next example is even more horrifying.  The following is what
one mother says happened to her 2-year-old son when a SWAT team raided
her home…

        After the SWAT team broke down the door, they threw a flashbang
        grenade inside. It landed in my son’s crib.

        Flashbang grenades were created for soldiers to use during
        battle. When they explode, the noise is so loud and the flash is
        so bright that anyone close by is temporarily blinded and
        deafened. It’s been three weeks since the flashbang exploded
        next to my sleeping baby, and he’s still covered in burns.

        There’s still a hole in his chest that exposes his ribs. At
        least that’s what I’ve been told; I’m afraid to look.

        My husband’s nephew, the one they were looking for, wasn’t
        there. He doesn’t even live in that house. After breaking down
        the door, throwing my husband to the ground, and screaming at my
        children, the officers – armed with M16s – filed through the
        house like they were playing war. They searched for drugs and
        never found any.

        I heard my baby wailing and asked one of the officers to let me
        hold him. He screamed at me to sit down and shut up and blocked
        my view, so I couldn’t see my son. I could see a singed crib.
        And I could see a pool of blood. The officers yelled at me to
        calm down and told me my son was fine, that he’d just lost a
        tooth.

Does that make you angry?

It should.

That young child is probably going to be disfigured for the rest of his
life because of the brutality and the carelessness of that SWAT team.

Yes, we live in perilous times and many of our communities would rapidly
descend into anarchy if there were no police.

But that does not mean that they have to act like Nazis.  They should be
able to protect us while treating us with dignity and respect at the
same time.

So what do you think?

Please share your opinion by posting a comment below…