[Rushtalk] No Can Do!

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at verizon.net
Sat May 17 07:48:02 MDT 2014

I am not so sure it's all bad.  No doubt, it is confusing, but only because
the approach to teaching/learning is different.  Different does not
automatically make it bad.

Here in the U.S>, we teach the various areas of math discreetly:  algebra,
geometry, trig, etc.  Most of western Europe doesn't do that.  They teach
mathematical concepts the encompass all of those areas and slowly and
steadily move to more and more difficult concepts.

When our new exchange students arrive here in August, most of them juniors,
they are leaps and bounds ahead of their American peers.  Most of them can
move straight into AP Calculus, and still encounter little new material.

Our two juniors, one from Germany and one from Denmark, just took the Common
Core practice tests.  The American kids were all complaining they were the
hardest tests they had ever taken.  Our students told us they were doing
that math in the 7th and 8th grades.