[Rushtalk] Private solution to school lunch trap of the federal government

Carl William Spitzer IV cwsiv at copper.net
Sat May 17 11:29:19 MDT 2014

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Jim Henry <jhenry at airpower.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 20:35:44 -0500 (CDT)

I don't know if it is still true, but 15 years ago when my
daughters were going through elementary school, their principle
explained to my wife and I that our school district did not/would
not accept any federal funds in the school lunch program due to
the conditions that always came with such assistance.  Instead we
solved the problem LOCALLY. Understand that we were not a rural or
an affluent community.  This is the largest first class township
in PA, bordering Philadelphia, and very diverse with a large
minority population (and quite urban).  The Principal explained
that most of the parents who could not afford breakfast and lunch
for their kids still seemed to be able to afford a couple of
cartons of cigarettes per week along with a case of beer,
prompting him to wonder aloud, how does that compare to a loaf of
bread and jar of peanut butter?

Here is how the problem was solved: each school purchased several
loaves of bread, jars of peanut butter, jelly, and pounds of
bologna and American cheese, at negligible cost. Each morning
volunteers and cafeteria workers made up peanut butter and jelly
sandwiches, and baloney and cheese sandwiches.  Each school set up
a "sharing table" in the cafeteria where students were encouraged
to trade what they brought for lunch (that they did not care for),
for one of these sandwiches. There was no checking to ensure that
kids had to leave something to take something, thus ensuring the
poor kids with no food got fed.  Worked perfectly.

I imagine that successful local efforts like this are the reason
for new federal efforts trying to ban students from bringing
"homemade" food to school.