[Rushtalk] No Can Do!

Dennis Putnam dap1 at bellsouth.net
Mon May 19 06:22:55 MDT 2014

I'm not sure that is a valid comparison. Which European country is as
diverse as the US and is trying to educate as many children? Which
European country has equivalent teacher union power that controls
education for the express purpose of benefiting it leadership through
increased membership (forced or other wise) by controlling the federal
government? You want to remove politics and focus on the issues which is
a laudable goal. How do you do that when the education system is
entirely controlled by politics and the local school boards have
virtually no say in the curriculum?

Here is how things work. The content of text books are controlled by 2
states simply because they are the largest consumers, Texas and
California. Texas has smartly rejected Common Core while California has
embraced it. Georgia has regrettably accepted Common Core (hopefully
that will change in the next legislative session but we are stuck with
it for 1 year at least) therefore, it has no choice but to buy the books
accepted by CA and they are unadulterated indoctrination Common Core
crap. So even if Common Core is rejected, GA taxpayers are stuck with
the CA crap or will have to spend millions to get new books while the
current ones are only 1 year old.