[Rushtalk] No Can Do!

Stephen A. Frye s.frye at verizon.net
Mon May 19 07:28:26 MDT 2014

I think it's an excellent comparison.  Our kids are poorly educated.  Pure
and simple.  The reasons you cite are valid, and there are a myriad of
others.  Education is the one commodity in the U.S. for which we all strive
to get the least for our money.

How many text books have you really looked at.  I mean really read from
cover to cover?  I have read all of the ones our students use.  Every word;
every page.  Please, take one of the common core math books spec'd by
California and point me to a page with unadulterated indoctrination.

What classroom is this taking place in?  Cite the school, the class, and the
teacher.

It's easy to point the finger in sweeping generalities, we all do it.  But I
am challenging you to cite specifics.  Real occurrences.  Not "everybody
knows" or " it's a known fact".

I am not sure of the significance of your population question.  In reality,
the European countries have a far denser population, and they are just as
diverse as we are.  They have greens, oranges, blacks, pinks, whites,
purples, geniuses, slow kids, fast kids, middle speed kids.  What's the
point of your question?  And for an answer, those kids come out of the
educational systems better educated than our kids.  And, as I wrote, there
are a myriad of reasons for that.  One of them is that they remove all of
the political in-fighting and finger pointing and name calling, and they set
rigid standards for the kids, and demand extremely advanced exams like the
abitur for graduation and admission to universities.

I don't' care if it's common core or what it is.  We, as a nation, need to
stop our bickering and start really educating our kids.  AS long as we are
indeed finger pointing, name calling, politicizing, we'll have what we have
now, or worse.  And it sure as heck isn't working.

So we can all sit around and whine about where text books come from, and
piss and moan that the parents (who are often just as under educated) should
be picking the curriculum, or we can try to do something positive.  I choose
the latter.