[Rushtalk] No Can Do!

Steven Laib stevenlaib at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 19 10:14:26 MDT 2014

The Common Core debate has made an appearance in Texas, and has been rejected.  The discussion points that I heard led me to believe that if we are concerned with math and science achievement, then we should avoid this system.  Some changes are not good.  Some things are best taught in traditional ways.  Other are not, but we should not throw out the old ways just because they are old.  That's what got us Obama.

My own experiences have led me to believe that a lot of the problems with our educational lag is that we are raising less students to understand the value of hard work and taking on difficult subjects.  They prefer liberal arts to the hard sciences.

We should also blame the universities which offer all together too many degrees in subjects that are of dubious value.  They should go back to emphasizing the hard sciences and engineering.  Eventually the public will catch up.

SDL