[Rushtalk] Romney calls for minimum-wage increase

Carl William Spitzer IV cwsiv at copper.net
Sat May 24 08:06:23 MDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-13 at 07:35 -0700, Tom Matiska wrote:
> Romney is absolutely right, and then some.
>
> It needs to be raised now and a mechanism put in place to ensure small
> regular increases. The min wage was changed 6 times in the 60's(4
> raises and 2 rules changes) without the nickel and dime changes
> causing economic or political chaos.
>
> The 9 year freeze from 81-90 and 10 year freeze from 97-07 were not
> crowd pleasers and the "over our dead body" got exactly that.  Pent up
> political demand resulted in large make up increase that were harmful
> to both employers and min wage employees, and helpful only to Dems
> seeking reelection.
>
> If the min wage was tied to the same COLA system  used by SS, Feds,
> etc....  the five year old 2009 wage would be 50 cents higher today.
> It would be neither a jobs killer nor a political football.

The problem it is too late for incremental.  The changes are sudden like
hitting a brick wall and stop jobs which would be created.  Some people
are not worth Min Wage and should be allowed to work for less.
Democrats use it not because they give a damn but because they are
buying votes from the Unions which once were Republican but were bought
for JFK from the mob by Joe Kennedy long ago.
We should never have corporate bialouts the GM bailout was the Democrats
buying an intire state which would switch parties if the unions were not
bought off.

CWSIV